17 and wanting to move out... I will stay with a friend's family in the area

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 and wanting to move out... I will stay with a friend's family in the area

Im 17 and i live with my stepdad and mother. Things have gotten very heated between the three of us since we left our life in england to live in texas with my stepdad. I desperately want to move out and would stay with family but we have none here and i can't live with anyone back in england. I turn 18 in 7months but im not sure i can wait that long
    I have straight a's, am in the top 20% of my grade and school is easy for me. I also have a stable part time job where i just got a promotion
    My parents are starting to scare me with how they act towards me and although i truly help out with bills and chores i am constantly told how worthless i am
    Can i move out without them making me have to back? Especially if i stay with a friends family in the area? I dont want to go through being emancipated as i turn 18 soon but i cant stay here.

re: 17 and wanting to move out... I will stay with a friend's family in the area

In the United States of America a child is legally the responsibility of their parents until 18 years of age. In special circumstances, such as marriage or the child becoming a parent themselves, it is possible to become emancipated from your parents before the age of 18. Moving out can be stressful emotionally and financially, so it is best to talk it through maturely with parents or trusted adults. If you feel you have no option, it is best to talk to a counselor or family friend for help. Many older adults struggle when first moving out of the family home, so seek guidance before taking drastic action. If you are preparing to move out of state, use a checklist to make sure you take care of all the details and logistics.

Comment

re: 17 and wanting to move out... I will stay with a friend's family in the area

If you are in Texas then at 17 the authorities will not force you home as long as you are staying in school and have a safe place to stay.

Comment

Re: 17 and wanting to move out... I will stay with a friend's family in the area

what about in IL.?

Comment

Re: 17 and wanting to move out... I will stay with a friend's family in the area

Illinois you must reach 18.
          Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

What about in Kentucky? I cant find nothing on anything here

Comment

KY you must be 18.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              What about in Kentucky? I cant find nothing on anything here

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Comment

Originally posted by Disagreeable View Post
                KY you must be 18.
                What about new york

Comment

NY, you must be 18.

Comment

Hello, i'm 17 & i live with my mother, stepfather and 4 siblings in Tx.. and i wanna move out.. Since things at home aren't so pretty.. My parents constantly make me take care of my siblings while they go out.. ( every weekend ) i can't do anything at all .. They don't let me go out with friends or anything..I've read some articles and they all say its fine as long as I'm doing good in school & let my parents know i'm fine .. But I graduated from high school not so long ago .. At what age can i move out?

Comment

TX, 17 but.... you must live on your own or with someone approved by your parents (get that in writing), because otherwise they can be charged with harboring. You could of course get a job and rent your own place, living alone. No overnight visitors "helping" with the rent please.You must notify your parents where you are and if they are resistant, the local police so they have a record of your notification.

Comment

In Texas the juvenile courts don't have jurisdiction over anyone older than 16. So at 17 you can't be adjudicated for running away. You can call your local precinct and ask, but typically they won't take you home. (Mainly bc it's a wasted effort, you'll likely just run again).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X