X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I do to protect myself from my father? -- property contract

Hi, I live in Gauteng, South Africa.
    Two years ago I signed a contract to buy property. My dad got involved because it was supposed to be an investment for the both of us. The deal was cancelled because of non-compliance (long story) and my father decided to take the matter to lawyers to recover our deposit and to sue for damages. I did not want to be involved at this stage, however I did. (He had lost his deposit of R10000 and I felt partly responsible). The case continued and we eventually lost, my father driving the whole issue but myself involved as the Plaintiff. I signed the initial contract and I had to testify on the stand, etc. We lost the case but my father refused to let the matter go because now he felt that the lawyers had misrepresented us and had now left him with a huge bill they was incorrect and not due to be paid.
    He also sent a letter to the Law Society and they replied that there was no misconduct on the laywer's part.
    Two days ago, the Sheriff of the court delivered a summons for my father and myself. It was sent by the lawyers demanding the outstanding money or they would carry on with legal proceedings.
    He is responsible for the account, the 1st defendant and myself, the 2nd defendant. He refuses to pay the account.
    I want to know what are my options. If this account does not get paid, will I get taken to court again? Can I disassociate myself from the situation without having to pay his bills?
    I have tried to contact the lawyers and they haven't returned my calls.
    If I personally pay these accounts, will this absolve me from any further association in this matter? If not, what can I do legally to ensure I don't get dragged into any further law suits or legal proceedings.
    My father wants to continue to fight and take this matter to court if necessary and is not considering my feelings in the matter nor is he concerned that I will be suited if he continues and loses again. I don't want to be involved any further in any way.
    What can I do to make sure I'm protected from any legal issues and involvement?
    What can I do to protect myself from my father-can he try to force me through some legal way to testify and be involved in this matter if it comes to this?
    I am quite willing to pay these costs for the lawyers bill just to get myself out of this situation but I need to know that I can ensure they won't involve me again should my father take it further.

Please help-an urgent response would be greatly appreciated!!

re: What can I do to protect myself from my father? -- property contract

Did you sign the contract with the lawyers too?

Comment

Yes. Before/during proceedings of the case, I signed an affidavit to confirm that they can represent me.

Comment

Then you normally are liable as well; but could try to dispute the level of service etc? They may compromise with you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X