Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a school teacher keep me from volunteering in my child's classroom?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a school teacher keep me from volunteering in my child's classroom?

I am going to post this here as well as under another topic because I am unsure where this belongs.

1-17-2007

Today I was set to volunteer at my child's school for the day, I was very excited because it is a long process to go thru to be in my own child's class room; references, back ground checks etc. Today I got to my child's class room and not long after that the Principal comes into the class and begins a lecture that I found disrespectful to the children. He kept saying they were going to have a conversation about a "Safety Issue". His Lecture continued and he was going to report some incidences at other schools in the area to confirm his fears or something... anyhow I stood up and said "I am offended by this, you keep saying you are going to communicate and yet you keep lecturing to these children, they are good children. " I also suggested that maybe they needed to know the rules, where by my child's teacher said that they read them at the beginning of the year.

I left the classroom, and waited outside. Soon the Principle came out and told me I had to go to his office. I told him I was volunteering in my child's classroom. He stated that I was not wanted in the classroom by my son's teacher, and asked me to go to his office. I followed him but on the way down the hall way decided I did not half to sit in his office if i didn't want to so when we got to his office He said why don't you come in here and take a breath, I said I don't have the energy for this I must go.

I spoke to him on the phone some time later asking him why the teacher doesn't want me in the classroom at first he said it was: "She felt like I was disrespectful toward the Principal" I asked the Principal If that was accurate he said no " She said it was the way I expressed myself was not apropriate."

My question is this.

Can a teacher or a Principal of a school district keep me from volunteering in my child's classroom because they do not like the way i express myself?

Thanks in advance for any information you can supply

re: Can a school teacher keep me from volunteering in my child's classroom?

They can yes...but you could go to the superintendent or school board and try to have his decision overruled if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      They can yes...but you could go to the superintendent or school board and try to have his decision overruled if need be.
      I have known other parents with issues involving our rural school district and they described their meetings with the bord as un productive.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to respond, and also further add that my child said later (when he came home from school yesterday) that He and several students were greatful that I expressed my opinion of being offended by the fear tactic presentation given by their principal, and the implying that the children were bad for one child's mistakenly bringining a air soft gun (which stayed in his back pack all day) to school. My son said " Mom my friends think your cool because you said what we were all feeling".

The principal said in a 20 minnute period "we are going to have a conversation" (at least 5 times) and i feel like if it's a conversation that involved a give and take a verbal exchange between two or more people, how can a Principal stand in front of a class for 20 minnutes and lie to the kids?

Why do we as adults believe that children have no rights that we are here to mould and shape them without any respect?

Anyhow I will make an attempt to discuss this matter with the School bord, as well as I have written to the ACLU.

In addition my son over heard and was pointed out in the class room by the Presidents Secretary or assistant who came into my son's class room, My son puts it like this: "Mom they were in a corner talking I know it was about you because the woman with the Principal pointed to me and they kept saying her and she.

If my behavior (confronting something i found disturbing in my child's classroom) was disrespectful, how about the Principal and Teacher and other adults discussing me in front of my son's class?

I am really sad because I was looking forward to helping in my child's classroom being a part of his school. And now how am I to discuss matters concerning my child with his Teacher? I have never felt included in this school as a parent and I am not the only parent who has had similar experiences. It's almost as if Parents are asked to participate in schools, teachers even blaming children's parents for their lack of involvement affecting the child's school performance, and yet what do schools do to foster involvement in the child's school. Parents must go thru back ground checks to be with their own child in a classroom? It's disturbing to me to think that it's easier for a Creep to kidnap my child from a buss then it is for me to Volunteer in my child's classroom.

Comment

Let us know what happens?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X