Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annulment or divorce - I got married in the Philippines

I got married in the Philippines 20 yrs ago, I'm a us citizen now, can I divorce my wife who is a Filipino citizen ? Or do i still need to do an annulment. Thank you.

re: Annulment or divorce - I got married in the Philippines

I wish to inform you that if both the parties agree then divorce may be granted in USA and same may be recognized through court order in Philippines. Generally divorce is not required but if one spouse is foreign citizen then it may be allowed. It is necessary that divorce obtained in USA must be passed upon judicially by a Philippine court to prove its validity before the Filipino spouse can remarry under Philippine law.

AFF

Comment

Originally posted by MarcoF View Post
      I got married in the Philippines 20 yrs ago, I'm a us citizen now, can I divorce my wife who is a Filipino citizen ? Or do i still need to do an annulment. Thank you.
      If you are in the U.S., you may file for divorce there. Only if the parties file in the Philippines can annulment be granted, and then only on very narrow grounds.

Comment

Annulment or divorce

My sister's situation, she got married in the Philippines and now lives in the us and a us citizen now and married to another man, does she need to file an annulment in manila? Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by MarcoF View Post
          My sister's situation, she got married in the Philippines and now lives in the us and a us citizen now and married to another man, does she need to file an annulment in manila? Thank you
          Her second marriage is invalid. Void. Bigamous. Without ending the first marriage she was never free to contract another one.

Since she is a U.S. citizen,if she does not plan to return to the Philippines, she may file for divorce from the first husband. Under Philippine law, only foreigners to the marriage may file for divorce in another country and have it recognized as valid -- not the Philippine citizen. Once she obtains the divorce in the U.S., then and only then may she marry her chosen second husband.

As things stand, she has committed bigamy, a crime in both countries, and needs to end that first marriage.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X