Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Domestic Partnership -- (Michigan/ Nevada)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domestic Partnership -- (Michigan/ Nevada)

My boyfriend and I became domestic partners when we lived in the state of Nevada so he could get health insurance from my employer. We now live in the state of Michigan. I was wondering a couple of things. First, is it recognized at all in the state of Michigan? I supported us financially for 2 years while living in Nevada and claimed him as a dependent on my taxes. We may be ending our relationship and he said that since we were domestic partners in Nevada that I may be responsible for paying him some kind of alimony since he was my dependent. Would this be true? Isn't alimony only granted in the case of married couples who are getting divorced?

re: Domestic Partnership -- (Michigan/ Nevada)

Originally posted by patricia600 View Post
    My boyfriend and I became domestic partners when we lived in the state of Nevada so he could get health insurance from my employer. We now live in the state of Michigan. I was wondering a couple of things. First, is it recognized at all in the state of Michigan? I supported us financially for 2 years while living in Nevada and claimed him as a dependent on my taxes. We may be ending our relationship and he said that since we were domestic partners in Nevada that I may be responsible for paying him some kind of alimony since he was my dependent. Would this be true? Isn't alimony only granted in the case of married couples who are getting divorced?
    You have raised an interesting question for the state of Michigan has only begrudgingly accepted domestic partners, having had the court tell them that employers could not deny benefits.

Since the relationship is of brief duration, alimony would not be likely to be awarded, even if you were husband and wife. Temporary maintenance for rehabilitation is sometimes awarded so the other partner can get a job and back on their feet, especially if they are young enough to be hired in the job market.

The best avenue would be to see a family law attorney in Michigan to see if you even need to file a formal petition to dissolve the partnership at all.

Comment

Originally posted by patricia600 View Post
      Unlike Nevada, Michigan does not confer any special rights to those claiming a domestic partnership. They do not consider this a relationship that needs to be terminated by a divorce of any type, nor would either partner be able to claim the benefits of that kind of termination (such as alimony). Unfortunately, in Michigan (as it is in most states), the two of you are simply cohabitating without the legal benefits of marriage.

If your boyfriend wanted to retain the special rights conferred to him as a domestic partner living in Nevada, then the two of you should have remained in Nevada.
      "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
      "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
      "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Originally posted by sandyclaus View Post
        Unlike Nevada, Michigan does not confer any special rights to those claiming a domestic partnership. They do not consider this a relationship that needs to be terminated by a divorce of any type, nor would either partner be able to claim the benefits of that kind of termination (such as alimony). Unfortunately, in Michigan (as it is in most states), the two of you are simply cohabitating without the legal benefits of marriage.

If your boyfriend wanted to retain the special rights conferred to him as a domestic partner living in Nevada, then the two of you should have remained in Nevada.
        Michigan, however, thanks to recent court rulings in 2013 must confer the same benefits through employers to those in a domestic partnership as a married couple -- which could be construed as a "special rights."

It does not require from what I have been able to find that formal dissolution proceedings be brought. If there has been substantial property acquired, however, the parties may bring an action in court for equitable distribution.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X