Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get a divorce Husband lives in Jamaica

Hello I hope you will have some insight on my situation.

i am currently residing in the U.S (NY) and my husband is in Jamaica. Both of us are from Jamaica I am a citizen of the U.S he is not. We were married in Jamaica almost 2 years ago.

last month i have sent divorce papers for him to sign and to date he has not signed them. He hasn't even gone to collect them from his relatives house.

What can i do if he refuses to sign? is there a time frame that he must sign? will i have to refile these papers start the procedure all over again as a contested divorce?

I finally caved in last week and called to ask why hasn't he signed the papers he said that he isn't going to sign them and i should forge his signature!!

I am in the process of purchasing a home there and I have bank accounts. We do not have any children. I want my divorce to be recognized in Jamaica just in case i should remarry.

I am fearful that if i purchase my home while still married it would be considered joint property as well as the money accumulated in my Jamaican bank accounts.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Re: Trying to get a divorce Husband lives in Jamaica

I wish to inform you that you can for divorce in Jamaica and obtain court order from Jamaica. This will enable you to have a court order which will be valid in Jamaica. As regards your US divorce you may have ex parte order but its validity may be contested in Jamaica on the ground that your husband was not having opportunity to respond.

AFF

Comment

Originally posted by AFFA View Post
      I wish to inform you that you can for divorce in Jamaica and obtain court order from Jamaica. This will enable you to have a court order which will be valid in Jamaica. As regards your US divorce you may have ex parte order but its validity may be contested in Jamaica on the ground that your husband was not having opportunity to respond.

AFF
      Thank You. I was reading that Jamaica is not a signer of The Hague Service Convention do you know what that means in regards to a divorce.

Also i spoke with my husband and he says to me that if i PAY him he will sign the paper!! At this point I want to get someone to sign the paper for him and pay a JP (notary ) extra to notarize the signature!

Comment

Originally posted by maxine22 View Post
        Hello I hope you will have some insight on my situation.

i am currently residing in the U.S (NY) and my husband is in Jamaica. Both of us are from Jamaica I am a citizen of the U.S he is not. We were married in Jamaica almost 2 years ago.

last month i have sent divorce papers for him to sign and to date he has not signed them. He hasn't even gone to collect them from his relatives house.

What can i do if he refuses to sign? is there a time frame that he must sign? will i have to refile these papers start the procedure all over again as a contested divorce?

I finally caved in last week and called to ask why hasn't he signed the papers he said that he isn't going to sign them and i should forge his signature!!

I am in the process of purchasing a home there and I have bank accounts. We do not have any children. I want my divorce to be recognized in Jamaica just in case i should remarry.

I am fearful that if i purchase my home while still married it would be considered joint property as well as the money accumulated in my Jamaican bank accounts.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
        As long as he is served the summons and complaint and one files the proof of service in court, and service complies with New York State law, then he does not have to sign anything. If he chooses not to answer then you, the petitioner, may move for default. Which means the divorce will be granted whether he likes it or not.

Comment

i live in jamaica my wife lives in canada

i am married to a Canadian we were married 2 years ago in Jamaica where i live she wants a divorce and says i have to pay for it as it takes 2 years and is expensive in Canada what do i do please help

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X