X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to move out but parents refuse to give me my paid checks

Florida

Hi, I'm 18 and I've been working for my dad as a waitress at the restaurant he owns, he pays me as an employee and up until a few months ago he gave me my paid checks directly. Now he writes them out to my mother and she deposits the check into her bank account. I've asked multiple times before for my money to be handed to me but they both refuse. I really want to move out and I can't do that if the money I keep working for isn't even given to me. I really don't know what to do and I just need help.

Thank you for any advice.

Re: I want to move out but parents refuse to give me my paid checks

Get another job.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

I wish to inform you that you may give a written notice to your father. You may demand the amount of all checks paid into the account of your mother. If the matter is not resolved, you may file a lawsuit in the Small Claims Court. You may download the forms online or obtain a copy from the office of the Clerk of Court. You may provide all the evidence in your favor. The Court will consider all the facts and decide the matter. Alternatively, you may make a complaint to the Department of Labor (DOL).

AFF

Comment

I wondered if Aff was going to go the written notice route.

I get it now Affa. You are named for the robotic planet Affa in Star Wars. Makes total sense now

OP work for strangers.

Comment

regardless if I do, they're still not giving me the money that I ALREADY earned.

Comment

Originally posted by stefranc View Post
            regardless if I do, they're still not giving me the money that I ALREADY earned.
            You live in their house, use their utilities, etc. You can ask for it back, you can try and sue them for it in small claims court. That will likely make holidays awkward.

Decide what's important.

Comment

Is the money they are withholding enough for you to move out if you get it? That is the first question you need to ask yourself. If you are not paying rent, they probably feel they are entitled to be reimbursed for room and board. You need to have a frank talk with them and get the "why."

You are now 18 and an adult under Florida law. It may be time to plan to move out and live on your own -- which means getting another job. Quitting the job you have with your parents. Should they balk at your quitting, then insist they pay you the wages you are owed and/or work out a rental agreement. Calculate the wages owed, what reasonable room and board would be -- and work things out with your parents. Line up a friend to crash with if you quit and take another job, so you can save up enough for rent should things blow up.

Comment

Originally posted by stefranc View Post

. Now he writes them out to my mother and she deposits the check into her bank account.
                What he is doing is illegal, contact the state agency that deals with labor matters.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X