• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schofeild
    replied
    Re: greek to lebanese

Thanks guys for the answers.

my question is, how long does it take when the spouse doesnt corporate at all?

Leave a comment:

• Friend In Court
    replied

Divorcing in Cyprus where you are residing is possible. You do NOT have to travel to Lebanon nor file there.

The law that will apply in Cyprus depends upon when the marriage was contracted to determine whether the law of 2003 applies. If the marriage was contracted after 2003, that divorce law will apply. It also depends upon whether the ceremony was through the Greek Orthodox Church or civil. The statute is called the Marriage Law of 2003.

These are the categories to which the law applies: The parties must

· Had an ecclesiastical wedding in Cyprus after the year 2003.

· Had a civil wedding in Cyprus either before or after the year 2003.

· Belong to one of the Ethnic Communities of Cyprus (Armenians, Maronites,
    Roman-Catholics) and had a civil wedding.

· Belong to the Greek-Orthodox faith.

These are the grounds under the Marriage Law of 2003:

1) A serious breakdown of the marriage relationship
    A serious breakdown can be one event not necessarily conduct over a course of years. Some found to be "serious breakdown" are; adultery, desertion, or attempt on the petitioner's life. In your case, abandonment/desertion might be an issue to raise with your lawyer as possible grounds.

2) 4- year continuous separation.

3) Change of gender.

4) Death, of course brings the marriage to an end.

The grounds in the charter of the Holy Orthodox Church of Greece are:
    1. Infidelity
    2. Immoral or disgraceful behavior
    3. Violence between spouses or an attempt on one's life
    4. Insanity that lasts for 3 years and makes life intolerable
    5. Final conviction which leads to imprisonment for seven years or more
    6. Disappearance
    7. Inability to have sexual intercourse
    8. Inexcusable desertion for 2 years
    9. Change of religion or attempt to convert spouse to another religion
    10. Refusal to have children against the other spouse's wishes

The Family Courts are parallel to the Greek Orthodox Church when it comes to granting divorces, the Church having had sole power to do so for 2,000 years.

So one may obtain a civil divorce in Greece under either Greek Orthodox Church or through the Family Court (civil). What matters is if one is Greek Orthodox and obtains a divorce other than through the Church, the Church will not recognize it and consider them still married.

My recommendation is that you seek counsel of a family law attorney in Cyprus for bringing an action there and having your husband served with the papers in Lebanon.

Leave a comment:

• AFFA
    replied

I wish to inform you that the place where you or your husband is residing will have jurisdiction. In this regard you can have the jurisdiction but generally for divorce court will send a notice to other party informing him about divorce petition being filed. If other party does not reply then ex parte divorce can be granted by court.

AFF

Leave a comment:

• schofeild
    started a topic greek to lebanese

greek to lebanese

hi all.
    i am greek and i was married to a lebanese man. we had civil marriage in cyprus and its registered in lebanon.

we separated two years ago without divorce. and now i want to divorce without having to deal with that man at all.

can i make a case in cyprus? how long does it take to divorce without the presence of the man? or should i make a case in lebanon?

i am a bit lost.

would u please answer me.

thanks
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X