Is there any way that I am responsible for the debt of my ex wife when we were

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any way that I am responsible for the debt of my ex wife when we were

Is there any way that I am responsible for the debt of my ex wife when we were divorced 4 years ago?

The divorce agreement said that there were no debts and each was responsible going forward for their own debts.

Now some debt collector is calling me for something she did 7 or 8 years ago?

Probably not but I wouldn't guarantee anything without further details.

What you have to understand is that your divorce decree is only binding on you and your ex, nobody else. If you were obligated during the marriage you would be obligated after the marriage.

On the other hand, the statute of limitations may have run out on a debt default from 7 or 8 years ago.

What state did you and your ex live in while you were married?
    What's the nature of the debt?
    And when, exactly did she default?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X