USAC Banner 728x90



No announcement yet.

Canadian married to Jamaican wanting a divorce

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Canadian married to Jamaican wanting a divorce

    I am a Canadian married to a Jamaican, who is still living in Jamaica. He was denied entry to Canadian. Don't know what to but get a divorce. I never filed the marriage in Canada. How do I go about starting the divorce. Can I file in Canada and take him the papers to sign and then bring them back to Canada? Do I need to file them in Jamaica also after they are signed.

  • #2
    Re: Canadian married to Jamaican wanting a divorce

    I wish to inform you that you may file the divorce papers in Jamaica. If the divorce is granted in Jamaica, it will normally be recognized in Canada under the principle of comity.



    • #3
      Re: Canadian married to Jamaican wanting a divorce

      You can apply for divorce because you are a citizen of Canada but their is a condition, you have lived in Canada at least one year immediately before applying for a divorce.
      I suggest you should hire a lawyer if you can afford it , he/she will help you a lot in filing divorce as you are alone right now.
      California Foreclosure Attorney -- John Dzialo


      • #4
        Re: Canadian married to Jamaican wanting a divorce

        If the husband is in agreement with the divorce, the papers may be sent to him for signature -- in front of a notary and returned and filed.

        Canada's Divorce Act recognizes three grounds for divorce; cruelty, adultery or being separated for one year. Even if other grounds are pled, since the process can take up to a year, anyway, being separated for one year is usually the grounds divorce is granted upon.

        If he is not willing to agree to divorce, it is still possible to have one granted, anyway. As long as there is no personal property or children to make rulings, dissolving the marriage can be done without both parties present.

        You would benefit from a consultation with a family law solicitor re service of process out of the country and the procedure should he not be willing to agree to divorce.


        • #5
          Re: Canadian married to Jamaican wanting a divorce

          I wish you can get the problem solved by getting help from some of Divorce lawyer directly.
          I know a Canadian Divorce lawyer, i think you can get both of advice and help from him.
          His name is Sheldon Tenenbaum (Tenenbaum & Solomon)


          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

          the color of a red dog is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

          widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.