Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valid grounds for annulment in Colorado?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valid grounds for annulment in Colorado?

Colorado law states that one legal grounds for annulment is: One spouse married because of the other's fraudulent act or misrepresentation which went "to the essence of the marriage". My wife lied to me about having slept with another man while we were dating. Given that "the essence of the(our) marriage" is truth and love (she agrees with me on that) it seems that we fulfill the requirement (due to the lie, not the sex). My wife agrees with me on that point as well. Are we wasting our time trying to get an annulment?
    Thanks.
    P.S. We'll remarry after we annul/divorce, I want her, I just don't want *that* marriage.

Re: Valid grounds for annulment in Colorado?

That is not going to permit an annulment IMHO.

You can try but I don't think the court will agree.

Comment

I'm sorry, but I actually burst out laughing when I read this utterly ridiculous question.

This part is just too insane to even try to understand: "P.S. We'll remarry after we annul/divorce, I want her, I just don't want *that* marriage." OMG are you for real? Marriage is marriage, regardless of "which" marriage it is. She will still be the same person who brings with her the same baggage. Perhaps instead of asking for legal help you might be better off seeking psychiatric help? Seriously.

You are interpreting the grounds for annulment with a most child-like mentality.

First of all, what she did when you were merely dating has absolutely NOTHING to do with the marriage. She could have slept with 50 guys while you were dating. It is after the wedding ring slips on the finger does the "essence of marriage" come into play. If she had tricked you into marrying her by stating that she was going to be faithful, but never intended to be faithful, you MIGHT have grounds on that. But since she has not admitted that, it's a moot point.

You cannot get an annulment based on the grounds you suggest. You are stuck with getting a divorce. You cannot make her, or your current marriage "pure", with simply going through the absolutely unnecessary time and expense of either an annulment or a divorce with the intention of remarrying. It's ironic that you state that you intend to marry her again, afterwards, as THAT would constitute fraud on YOUR part.

I don't mean to insult you when I suggest psychiatric help. I truly believe, based in your statements here, that you could benefit from it.

Comment

Further, what you are essentially saying, and what the grounds you are interpreting are saying is, you would never have married her had you known she was dating other people while dating you. But sorry, there is nothing illegal about that, as, a person is single until married.

If you would never have married her in the first place if you had known that, then it's unclear why you'd marry her all over again, as she's still the same person who dated other people before she married you. Your logic is extremely deluded.

Comment

I would have to agree.

Don't waste too much time and money with this annulment scheme. It is not going to work.

If you want to divorce then do so. Otherwise heed the advice above.

Comment

And what happens if you annul or divorce this marriage and she reveals something else you find "impure" after you marry her again? You can't keep nulling/divorcing this woman based on what she reveals to you during a time you were not legally married. It's insanity.

Another marriage to this woman will not wipe the slate clean.

Comment

> First of all, what she did when you were merely dating has absolutely NOTHING to do with the marriage.

Agreed. Never argued otherwise.

>She could have slept with 50 guys while you were dating.

Agreed. Never argued otherwise.

> It is after the wedding ring slips on the finger does the "essence of marriage" come into play.

That seems incorrect, the law states: One spouse married because of the other's fraudulent act or misrepresentation which went "to the essence of the marriage".

> If she had tricked you into marrying her by stating that she was going to be faithful, but never intended to be faithful, you MIGHT have grounds on that. But since she has not admitted that, it's a moot point.

She'd admit that.

>You cannot get an annulment based on the grounds you suggest. You are stuck with getting a divorce. You cannot make her, or your current marriage "pure", with simply going through the absolutely unnecessary time and expense of either an annulment or a divorce with the intention of remarrying.

It's a ritual, the time and expense are not a concern. Your lack of understanding of that is irrelevant.

> It's ironic that you state that you intend to marry her again, afterwards, as THAT would constitute fraud on YOUR part.

I disagree. I don't see how the law could be interpreted that way. I'd be shocked if you're a lawyer.

Flame bait on the net, how novel.

Comment

You state you live in Colorado. By U.S. law, marrying and annuling/divorcing under such "ritualistic" beliefs is what is irrelevant. In the eyes of the law, one marriage is sufficient. Marrying and divorcing/nullifying is for the reasons you give is considered fraud. Because you disagree does not make it "irrelevant".

It's curious that you don't see how the law could be interpreted "that way" for what's law, and can be "interpreted that way" over what your beliefs "dictate".

You asked for advice, you got it. If you don't like the advice given, perhaps spend money on a "real" attorney, and get the answers from them.

The "essence of marriage" clause you keep repeating, you are misinterpreting yourself. Her admitting, after you were married, that she had dated while dating you (before marriage, which she is free to do until such time the wedding takes place), does not fall under such clause. It was not fraudulent on her part. If, on the other hand, she married you with the intention of being deliberately unfaithful to you AFTER her marriage to you took place, that could be considered fraudulent. If you do not understand this, I don't know how to make it any simpler.

U.S. marriage is not the same as primitive marriage, or "ritualistic" marriage.

Are you suggesting that you never would have married your wife had she told you beforehand that she was dating other people while dating you? That is the question that bears an honest answer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X