Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHERE SHOULD I DIVORCE????

I am an US citizen who married a French/US citizen in Panama.( We lived there for 2 years)
    We have been separated for 1 year and 1/2 and both live in CA now.
    I just found out he is a con artist and defrauded me personally and many business partners of his.
    I am not speaking to him BUT want a divorce asap. Of course since we have no communication divorce wont be very easy.

My question: I want a divorce immediately and want to serve divorce papers on him NOW.
    Last week he served me with "legal separation" papers here in US and I have 30 days to respond.
    My dilemma: Do I respond with divorce proceedings here in US? Or through Panamanian lawyer?

I heard that If I divorce him here in US, the divorce will NOT be valid in Panama and therefore if i want to remarry in the future here in US, he can come back and claim divorce not to be legal...
    Is panama divorce no longer an option because I live here now?
    Do I have to divorce here in US , since I am now US resident and THEN also get divorce in Panama?
    Or, go through a divorce in Panama and not even bother with divorcing him here, since I never validated the marriage here in US? I think , he then will try to tell Panamanian courts that he no longer resides there and therefore the court shouldn't have jurisdiction over him.

If anyone has an answer to my dilemma, PLEASE answer.

Tahnk you in advance for any info you may be able to provide.

Re: WHERE SHOULD I DIVORCE????

I wish to inform you that in USA, divorce is a subject under state jurisdiction. Further, in USA the laws of California will govern the divorce in your case. If you seek a divorce in Panama, it will generally be recognized in USA if the rights of both parties are not infringed. The only requirement is that the spouse in the position of Defendant must have been given an opportunity to present its point of view by the Court granting the divorce.

AFF

Comment

Re: WHERE SHOULD I DIVORCE????

If you were married in the U.S., it does not matter what the position of Panama is. You can file for divorce where you are, and it will be legal. Panama has no jurisdiction over this matter if you did not marry there, therefore, it is of little consequence if they do not "recognize" your divorce in the U.S.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X