Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any type of financial protection for unwed fathers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any type of financial protection for unwed fathers?

I want to leave my girlfriend and get my own apartment because she is VERY verbally abusive and at times I am afraid to go to sleep because I don't want her to do anything to my son or I while we are sleeping. I've read stories of unwed fathers online and it seems like a general consensus that the guy always gets legally screwed. I want to take care of my son and I am even willing to pay her child support but I'm afraid that if I leave her and get my own place the court system will take an unreasonable amount of money from me and I'll end up on the streets or living with my parents like a lot of unwed fathers do. She has already stated that if I leave her then she will go through DHS to have them come after me. I'm not a bad person nor father. I want to be in my sons life. What can I do?

Re: Is there any type of financial protection for unwed fathers?

She will do that anyway, regardless. If you allow her to see you can be manipulated by threats now, you are setting the stage for a pattern of walking on eggshells for the next 18 years of your life.

When the child was born, did you sign an Acknowledgement of Paternity? If so, you can file an emergency ex parte order with the court for custody of the child. If you are truly afraid for yours and your child's safety so much so that you are afraid to sleep at night for fear of what she will do, that is no way to live. You must not stay in that type of extremely stressful and potentially dangerous situation.

Her threats are not going to stop. They will only escalate. It is a control trip that she will always win if you kow tow to her.

Women like her abuse the system because the system makes it so very easy for them to do.

Comment

Yes, if you are talking about the birth certificate then yes I did sign it. I just need a way out for my son and I but I fear that the court system is going to take her side as this seems to be always the case.

Comment

No, I mean an Acknowledgement of Paternity, which is a form unwed fathers and mothers sign when the father acknowledged legally that he is the biological dad. Without that, you need to petition the court for a paternity test in order to get rights to your child.

Unfortunately, the courts mainly do favor the mother in these situations, so expect an uphill climb.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          No, I mean an Acknowledgement of Paternity, which is a form unwed fathers and mothers sign when the father acknowledged legally that he is the biological dad. Without that, you need to petition the court for a paternity test in order to get rights to your child.

Unfortunately, the courts mainly do favor the mother in these situations, so expect an uphill climb.
          If the hospital didn't hand it to me to sign on the day of my sons birth then no I didn't sign it. I'm guessing that I need to go to the court and request this?

Comment

In which state do you and the mother reside? Is it the same state the child was born?

It's odd the hospital did not provide the form for you both to fill out and sign.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              In which state do you and the mother reside? Is it the same state the child was born?

It's odd the hospital did not provide the form for you both to fill out and sign.
              We both live in Oklahoma where our son was born. And I probably did sign it, I was signing everything on the day of his birth.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X