Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help. i just found out im still married

new york city!! i got married in 1996 one day he just walked out n never came back. is been 14 yrs now i just found out im still married. what can i do i would like to get a divorce

Re: help. i just found out im still married

I wish to submit that you can take divorce on the ground of desertion. New York allows divorce on the ground of desertion. The circumstances which were behind your husband's leaving should reflect that your husband did not have a reason to leave and that your husband was giving up on your marriage and is not performing any obligations related to marriage during this period.

AFF

Comment

Re: help. i just found out im still married

While it's unclear why you thought you were divorced, and seem to be surprised to "find out" you're still married, now is the time to start divorce proceedings. Unless, of course, you would rather remain legally married so that if he should die before you do, you are entitled to all benefits of his "SSN, pension, retirement fund, etc) under law.

Do you know where he is so that you could serve him if you were to divorce him? With you both still legally married, he cannot marry again either, and that would secure your position of his wife entitled to his benefits.

If you choose to divorce him, most states only recognize no fault divorces, so ignore the previous advise you were given here. You would have to file in court, and you would want the assistance of legal counsel if your husband is MIA and you cannot locate him in order to serve him. Most times, a notice is placed in the local paper of his last known address, but this is where an attorney comes in.

If you divorce on any other grounds, or try to, you're facing an long, drawn out road. It's better to, if you're going to file, to file under no fault and get it over with and move on with your life.

Good luck to you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X