Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upset... I do not want to give up my rights

I have sole custody of my 16 year old daughter. She wants to go and stay with her father since he does not work offshore and spend some time with him. I do not want to give up my rights so is their anyway to do a temporary guardianship?

Re: Upset

I wish to inform you that you may give a temporary custody to father. In this you may draft a temporary custody document whereby you may authorize father to take decisions regarding your child for certain time so that your child may stay with father. Temporary custody document may show authorization to father in decision making process.

AFF

Comment

Re: Upset... I do not want to give up my rights

You don't need to do that, she can visit him any time you choose. Absent a court order for visits it's at your discretion.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper View Post
        I have sole custody of my 16 year old daughter. She wants to go and stay with her father since he does not work offshore and spend some time with him. I do not want to give up my rights so is their anyway to do a temporary guardianship?
        Whatever visitation rights the father has can be expanded by written or oral agreement. One doesn't need to run to the court for every decision they make raising their children.

Since he is the father, guardianship is not necessary. An agreed arrangement, written if you wish, that the daughter will spend X amount of time visiting, from such and such a date to such and such a date. You do not have to transfer your rights as sole custodial parent in order for your daughter to visit him.

How long is it expected she will stay? A few months? A school year? That will determine if you need to execute formal documents such as allowing her to enroll in school, obtain medical care if necessary, etc.

One thing I might add for you to consider, if you allow your daughter to move to live with the father, once she has become integrated into his household for a sufficient period of time -- attended school, made friends in the area, the door is wide open for a change of custody. At your daughter's age, if she chooses to remain with the father, odds are that as long as their are no compelling reasons why she should not live with him, custody can be changed.

So, it makes a difference how long you agree to allow her to visit her father -- a few months? A year? If the two have not spent much time with each other, it is normal for a child to want to spend time to 'get to know' the other parent. You have a decision to make.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper View Post

You may request court to make a temporary modification of custody, giving other parent custody for a time period (should mention when the time period starts and ends) and should specify where the child will reside and your right to visitation at that period of time. Proceeding to determine temporary custody should be taken seriously and a parent should not voluntarily surrender the temporary custodial rights without careful consideration.
          Do seek assistance of a competent attorney in this regard.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X