USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Absent parent... Would this be considered abandonment?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absent parent... Would this be considered abandonment?

I live in NH.

My Son is 9 months old. When I was 17 weeks pregnant his father attacked me. I didn't press charges, but I did get a restraining order that expired a week before the baby was born. He is not listed on the birth certificate. We have had no contact with the father since I was in court for the restraining order and one text he sent me a week after my son was born asking to meet him to which I never replied. I have NO interest in filing for child support.

So, my question is would he stand a chance at getting any kind of custody or visitation of my child if he was to try? Would this be considered abandonment?

re: Absent parent... Would this be considered abandonment?

You are doing everything in your power to obstruct his ability to have a relationship with the child. That is not abandonment. It is craptastic co-parenting.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

re: Absent parent... Would this be considered abandonment?

I'm sorry but how is that bad parenting? He hasn't tried to contact me except for one text. He has the number and address of myself and most of my family members. If he wanted contact he could of had it, but choose not to. I wasn't going to chase him after he assaulted me. I'm just concerned that he will try to come into my son's life after being absent. Please if you're going to be judgmental, hold your comments.

Comment

Re: Absent parent... Would this be considered abandonment?

You have not taken steps to enforce the childs rights to its male parent or support from him. You ignored the fathers attempt to establish a relationship. After having the first restraining order expire and you not responding to his attempt to make contact, in his position, would you continue attempting contact so mom could trot down to the police, claim harassment and start the entire thing all over? Yes, the court will allow him to establish visitation if he files.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Comment

Incorrect. Child abandonment laws in NH are defined as an absence of 6 months or longer. I contacted a lawyer last week and he got back to me today after consulting this website. Thanks for the free judgment though! And as a little FYI attacking a pregnant woman is endangering an unborn child and grounds for parental rights termination.

Comment

Good Luck with that. By all means pay the lawyer every penny he requests. Shall I take this time to inform you he cannot have parental rights revoked, that have not been legally established yet?

Originally posted by nosylla12 View Post
            Incorrect. Child abandonment laws in NH are defined as an absence of 6 months or longer. I contacted a lawyer last week and he got back to me today after consulting this website. Thanks for the free judgment though! And as a little FYI attacking a pregnant woman is endangering an unborn child and grounds for parental rights termination.

Comment

Be aware that the users below are well known for any one or more of the following inaccurate answers, incomplete replies, rude or offensive answers and, answers based on bias or opinion with no basis in existing law. You might also ask yourself why these users have so much time to post during all hours of day or night?

AFFA
              Lexus
              Goddessoflubboc
              Friendincourt
              Disagreeable
              MessyJessi

[post edited by admin- private messages removed]

Comment

I find it highly inappropriate that she lists who she feels "unworthy" of being here.

Well without everyone on that list this forum would languish.
                Everybody in the forum brings their experience and viewpoints from many different angles: lawyers, non-lawyers, paralegals, those involved with courts, etc.
                That range of experience and input is what we value and encourage.
                We also do hope that all parties remain civil and courteous to one another.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                x

the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X