Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• father gone for 6 yrs can I make him pay child support

I live in Illinois I'm a single mom who makes $350 a week and is currently starting college my sons father left me before my son was born we were never married or anything after 6 years I finally contacted him. Can I make him pay me for child support for all 6 years? He's agreed to pay me child support bc he doesn't want to go to court since he has problems with the law. How much should I ask if he makes$600 a week.And if indeed I can ask for the 6 yrs he hasn't pay me how much would it be.

Re: father gone for 6 yrs can I make him pay child support

Originally posted by yesenia View Post
    I live in Illinois I'm a single mom who makes $350 a week and is currently starting college my sons father left me before my son was born we were never married or anything after 6 years I finally contacted him. Can I make him pay me for child support for all 6 years? He's agreed to pay me child support bc he doesn't want to go to court since he has problems with the law. How much should I ask if he makes$600 a week.And if indeed I can ask for the 6 yrs he hasn't pay me how much would it be.
    Nope. Since you failed to file sooner, you won't be able to get retroactive support payments for the most part. Most states will only order support effective from the date of filing forward.

As far as the amount, it will be based on the child support guidelines for your state. If you check online, many have calculators available to estimate.
    "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

I wish to inform you that you may file a petition in the court for establishment of paternity, child custody and child support. After the paternity has been established, you may claim child support and child custody. Normally, the paternity will be established through court ordered DNA testing. Generally, back dated child support is not granted. However, the court always keeps the best interests of the child in view. Even if you have a consent agreement pertaining to child custody and child support, you may file it in the court so that it can be enforced in the future if needed.

AFF

Comment

The logic of wanting 6 months child support is synonymous with him requesting full custody to replace back visitation.
        Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Originally posted by Disagreeable View Post
          The logic of wanting 6 months child support is synonymous with him requesting full custody to replace back visitation.
          It's six YEARS, not MONTHS, BTW.
          "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
          "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
          "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Originally posted by yesenia View Post
            The law does not allow for retroactive support, only forward after filing. He has to acknowledge paternity if he has not done so before, and have a court order for support. When you say "problems with the law" may we assume it is outstanding warrants?

Illinois support schedules are posted online so from that you can calculate the amount of support that is appropriate -- in light of your incomes and expenses of the child. A stipulated agreement can be entered to be approved by the court, if he does not want a full hearing and court appearances. I would suggest he have an attorney represent him or both of you, for that matter, as there are lawyers who do mediation rather than litigation. Then the lawyer may present the stipulated parenting plan with custody, support and visitation to the court without personal appearance by one or both parties. .

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X