Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grandparents rights & sexual preference

My 18yr old daughter had a baby(she was 17 at the time). She lived at home and I helped raise the baby for 6 months. The dad abandoned her during pregnancy but has since owned up to his responsibilities. They are going through their own issues of custody/access. My daughter recently moved out under bad terms. She was allowing us to have visits and take baby to church. We are her grandparents and godparents(catholic). In the last week she stopped us from access altogether. We get nothing. She has asked us to go to councelling to accept her bisexual behaviour or we will never see baby again. Is that fair? Can she demand that? Her sexual preference should have nothing to do with baby visiting us. We want to proceed with visitation rights. Can we get it? All we really are asking for is to continue taking baby to church on Sundays as we are the godparents and maybe a day visit during the week.

re: grandparents rights & my daughters sexual preference

I wish to inform you that you can have child visitation rights through court. In this regard child visitation can be allowed to grandparent as it is in best interest of child that child must have contact with extended family. You can be awarded child visitation under rights of equity.

AFF

Comment

Originally posted by grandma54 View Post
      My 18yr old daughter had a baby(she was 17 at the time). She lived at home and I helped raise the baby for 6 months. The dad abandoned her during pregnancy but has since owned up to his responsibilities. They are going through their own issues of custody/access. My daughter recently moved out under bad terms. She was allowing us to have visits and take baby to church. We are her grandparents and godparents(catholic). In the last week she stopped us from access altogether. We get nothing. She has asked us to go to councelling to accept her bisexual behaviour or we will never see baby again. Is that fair? Can she demand that? Her sexual preference should have nothing to do with baby visiting us. We want to proceed with visitation rights. Can we get it? All we really are asking for is to continue taking baby to church on Sundays as we are the godparents and maybe a day visit during the week.
      Not all states allow for grandparent visitation, and those that do will do so only if certain conditions exist.

It is very possible that your daughter has some very real concerns as to what kind of influence you may have on the child. Yes, you are the godparents, but as your daughter appears to be bisexual, she may have valid concerns that your only reason for continuing visitations is to impede the relationship between mother and child given her sexual orientation.

Ultimately, if it's a matter of turning the child against her mother's sexual choices by forcing your religious beliefs upon her, the courts would agree with the mother and deny you access. It is the parents who get to choose their child's religious upbringing, NOT you.

Do you have an issue with your daughter's sexual orientation? If so, then you are the ones that are impeding the continued relationship with your grandchild. No parent in their right mind is going to foster any kind of relationship between their child and someone whose motives clearly have an agenda that opposes their parent's choices.
      "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
      "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
      "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Originally posted by grandma54 View Post
        In which province do you reside? That would be helpful in determing what the law has been on grandparents rights in your province.

Comment

Originally posted by sandyclaus View Post
          Not all states allow for grandparent visitation, and those that do will do so only if certain conditions exist.

It is very possible that your daughter has some very real concerns as to what kind of influence you may have on the child. Yes, you are the godparents, but as your daughter appears to be bisexual, she may have valid concerns that your only reason for continuing visitations is to impede the relationship between mother and child given her sexual orientation.

Ultimately, if it's a matter of turning the child against her mother's sexual choices by forcing your religious beliefs upon her, the courts would agree with the mother and deny you access. It is the parents who get to choose their child's religious upbringing, NOT you.

Do you have an issue with your daughter's sexual orientation? If so, then you are the ones that are impeding the continued relationship with your grandchild. No parent in their right mind is going to foster any kind of relationship between their child and someone whose motives clearly have an agenda that opposes their parent's choices.
          The poster's flag is Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend In Court View Post
            The poster's flag is Canada.
            Sorry, I'm mobile today - no flags.

My opinion still goes if they are in Canada, however. Even if the courts do recognize grandparent's right to visitation, they won't order it if the grandparent's sole basis for seeking visitation is to alienate a child due to differences on religious beliefs as they apply to sexual orientation.
            "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
            "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
            "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Originally posted by sandyclaus View Post
              Sorry, I'm mobile today - no flags.

My opinion still goes if they are in Canada, however. Even if the courts do recognize grandparent's right to visitation, they won't order it if the grandparent's sole basis for seeking visitation is to alienate a child due to differences on religious beliefs as they apply to sexual orientation.
              Agreed, sandy. If a grandparent demeans, belittles or has harsh, judgmental opinion of the parent, visitation may not only not be awarded but all contact restricted -- in either country.

Comment

I have no intention of belittling my daughter in any way. I just want to see my granddaughter without begging all the time. My daughters sexual preference is her choice not mine. I have no intention of sabotoging my daughters relationship with her daughter. My daughter was raised catholic and went to church weekly with us up until a few months ago. She got mixed up with a rough group of teens and is going through her 2nd rebelling. The baby has been baptized with her consent and she wants to raise her catholic. I just want to do my duty as godparents should and have a grandma/granddaughter relationship with baby.
                I am in Ontario Canada

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X