USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.S. to Canada Child Support (Ontario, Pennsylvania)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. to Canada Child Support (Ontario, Pennsylvania)

17 years ago my ex-girlfriend moved from Ontario, Canada to live in Pennsylvania, U.S. She took our daughter who was 1 year old at the time, now 18 years old. Since my daughter was 2 years old (16 years ago), my ex-girlfriend got married, had more kids and is still married to the same man. Can my ex-girlfriend now file for back child support payments? If yes, would it even be worth it considering any costs she may incur? What is the likelihood of her succeeding? Much details would be greatly appreciated.

re: U.S. to Canada Child Support (Ontario, Pennsylvania)

I wish to inform you that your girlfriend may file back child support but her chances are less as you child is already 18 and she herself has not taken any action for having child support for so many years. As regards costs it may arise if lawyer is hired otherwise court fees and costs of printing documents and service upon you is only expense.

AFF

Comment

Re: U.S. to Canada Child Support (Ontario, Pennsylvania)

It might be too late for her to do that. If your child is considered an adult now then your ex can't unless there was a previous order regarding the payment of child support. If there was no court order, then you dont have to worry about back child support. Ytalk to an attorney about this situation.

Comment

Re: U.S. to Canada Child Support (Ontario, Pennsylvania)

If a support order was made and you failed to pay it, whether it be 1 year or 17, the custodial parent MAY file for back support or the child may file in her own right as support is considered her property. There is no statute of limitations on delinquent child support. It can become a lien against one's property and even their estate.

If no court order was made,however, then a suit for retroactive support could not be maintained. It would be dismissed. With prejudice.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X