USAC Banner 728x90



No announcement yet.

Obtaining sibling guardianship across state lines

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Friend In Court
    Re: Obtaining sibling guardianship across state lines

    First, your parents can assign guardianship to you, send her to you without a formal guardianship as temporary guardianship, a limited one at that, so they maintain medical insurance for her.

    She still would be their dependent. An authorization like power of attorney could be executed granting you the power to enroll her in school, make decisions re her welfare, which would not give full legal guardianship as such but formal authorization (like power of attorney) for her to reside with you and give you supervisory control over her welfare.

    What you should do is have a family law attorney draw the form, preferably a Texas attorney. The impending divorce complicates things because your sister is before the court for them to issue a custody decree. But as long as the parents consent, there should be no problem with the court endorsing the arrangement. If they are both in agreement either one of their divorce lawyers can prepare the proper papers.

    Leave a comment:

  • Obtaining sibling guardianship across state lines

    Hello. I've been looking everywhere for answers, but I keep getting conflicting answers. Here's the situation: my 17 year old sister lives in Texas with our dad (mother moved out, is an alcoholic, and is in the process of filing for divorce), but she wants to come live with me in Virginia to finish high school and establish residency for college. I'm 22, have a stable job, housing, and am more readily available to be there for her emotionally and financially than either one of my parents. Both of our parents consent to the move, but I'm confused about the process of transferring guardianship so I can enroll her in school this August. What is the best way of doing it, and is it even possible? Also, if I become her legal guardian, would she still be covered under my dad's medical insurance? I still am, but I don't know if she would be since she wouldn't be considered his dependent. Any information that could be provided regarding this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.