Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Afford Child Support/ Lawyer

My son just left court where he was ordered to pay child support. His paychecks proved that he does not earn enough to pay the amount ordered. He told the judge, and she responded that his rent didn't matter, only the child mattered.

After paying his rent and other required expenses, he will have only $400/month. The judge ordered him to pay far more. He will lose his apartment and then lose the part custody he now has of his child if he is homeless.

My son lives in California (I do not). The mother of the child is on welfare and has never worked in the 10 years he has known her. Her apartment and car are paid for by a "friend."

He obviously cannot afford a lawyer. Does anyone have any suggestions for any other steps he can take?

re: Cannot Afford Child Support/ Lawyer

Originally posted by 81charduck View Post
    My son just left court where he was ordered to pay child support. His paychecks proved that he does not earn enough to pay the amount ordered. He told the judge, and she responded that his rent didn't matter, only the child mattered.

After paying his rent and other required expenses, he will have only $400/month. The judge ordered him to pay far more. He will lose his apartment and then lose the part custody he now has of his child if he is homeless.

My son lives in California (I do not). The mother of the child is on welfare and has never worked in the 10 years he has known her. Her apartment and car are paid for by a "friend."

He obviously cannot afford a lawyer. Does anyone have any suggestions for any other steps he can take?
    His best option IS to hire an attorney to fight the support order. At the very least, the mother SHOULD have been imputed an income equal to minimum wage unless she is absolutely, physically unable to work. If it's worth it to your son, perhaps that something YOU should help him get.

Perhaps the judge didn't feel like your son was making enough of a sacrifice. What HE thinks are required expenses may not be the necessities he considers them to be. One doesn't need cable or satellite TV, or internet at home, or to go out to eat several times a week. You'd be surprised at how much in savings one can realize when one is forced to make cuts to survive.
    "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Your son should also get a second job, to support his children.
      Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

The court also ordered that my son pick his daughter up from school at 4:30 every day and keep her for 3 hours. He has been searching for a job that he could work after 7:30 at night.

Comment

Many cleaning and janitorial jobs are evening work.

Comment

Re: Cannot Afford Child Support/ Lawyer

Originally posted by 81charduck View Post

He will have to find a cheaper place to rent, for starters.

Child support is calculated upon the parent's earnings, California having very easy to calculate support schedules. Anyone can find them online. The amount he would owe for support of his child is predictable, and the child's needs come before his. What other "required expenses" you do not list, either, but whatever they are he needs to reduce them.

Life is all about priorities. When one brings a child into this world, they have to consider that child's needs first for the child cannot fend for itself. Sure, the mother is obligated to support, too. And if her expenses are paid by someone else, if the father could prove that, then the housing cost conceivably can be reduced.

Comment

"Your son should also get a second job, to support his children"

Why am I forced to read this garbage from a feminist Nazi on this public forum.

The mother should get a job and support this child 50%. Why do you feminists think its the fathers responsibility to pay 100% and then to give the baby mama enough money to live also.

You are fighting for equal rights, which now you have more rights then men, but not equal responsibility. Garbage.

Child Support: For The Best Interest Of The Baby Mama

Alimony.......Because he wasn't good enough for you, but his money is.

Women Who Can't Feed Their Children Are Rewarded With Government Handouts.
              Men Who Can't Feed Their Children Are Sent To Jail.

Paying Child Support For 18 Years: Up to $250,000.00 Plus
              Getting A Vasectomy: About $500.00
              Shooting blanks to Keep your money yours: Priceless

Comment

to forumula1129

I agree that the baby mama should get a job. She is young and healthy and on welfare. The judge did not order her to get a job. Instead the child support he'll pay will be given back to the county to repay her welfare. To me it is garbage.

My other son has FULL custody of his twin daughters. He had a reasonable judge.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X