Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Support question in Texas

My husband and I recently separated - about a week ago. I have been out of work for a while and recently went back to work part time. I am looking for a decent paying, full time job still, but in the meantime I could really use some public assistance (food stamps, housing, child care etc.)

My husband was going to pay me a certain amount of money each week. We hadn't settled on the amount yet, however his business is not doing well and he hasn't been able to pay me much. He has paid a few bills, but I am having to borrow money to cover my expenses and may have to move into a much cheaper place soon.

If I apply for any kind of public assistance, I will automatically be referred to the attorney general's office for child support collection. I don't know what my husband would be able to pay and I don't want to get him into a situation where he could end up in jail or lose his professional license because he can't pay child support. If anything happens to his ability to earn a living it will negatively impact me and the kids. However, I desperately need some assistance to take care of my kids.

I don't really know anything about how the attorney general's office works in Texas or what might be expected of my husband. I do know that Texas is pretty tough on parents who don't pay child support.

Any information on the child support collection process in Texas, the attorney general's office procedures, or just general advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Child Support question in Texas

You seem to have a handle on the process. You and dad need to figure it out. The state of Texas did not get you pregnant or make you separate.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

I'm looking for advice - not a lecture. I am aware of what my decisions are and my responsibilities are.

What I need to know is if my husband and I have an agreement in place, will the attorney general's office honor that agreement, thereby allowing me to apply for public assistance without putting my husband in a tight situation. Also, I would like to know what the factors are that the AG's office uses to determine the level of child support to be paid. And I would like to hear from someone who knows something about the Texas AG Office.

Comment

No, the state of Texas will not assume responsibility for your childrens care, when they have a mother and father capable of doing so.

Here is a Tx support calculator.

http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/childsupport/texas/

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Comment

Thank you for the calculator - that gives me a better idea of what is a reasonable monthly payment that I could expect.

I don't appreciate your implication that I am looking to shirk my responsibilities as a parent. I am not looking for anyone to assume responsibility for the care of my children. I didn't choose to separate and would still be with my husband if it was up to me, but I can't force someone to stay with me. Due to the separation that I did not choose, my income has suddenly dropped dramatically and I am trying to find a way to survive and care for my children. Even if I get what that calculator you gave me suggests, I wouldn't have nearly enough money to maintain my current lifestyle. I am doing everything I can right now to cut expenses, downgrade my lifestyle, and increase my income in order to take care of my children. But I suddenly, for the first time in my life, find myself in a situation where I might need some assistance at least temporarily. I am not looking to game the system, I am looking to use the system as it was intended - as a way to care for my family when faced with a sudden, difficult change in circumstances. You might want to be more careful about jumping to conclusions about people and their situations when you've just read a couple of paragraphs on an online forum.

Comment

You are the one attempting find a way to deprive your children of the support owed to them by their father. Further, you wanted to pawn it off on the citizens of Texas. If you are not attempting to game the system, file for social services and let them go after dad or don't file for social services and attempt to have dads business grow. Why should you expect the citizens of Texas to allow dad to stop supporting his children, just because you have them. I was not implying you're trying to shirk your responsibility as a parent. I was stating you appear to be attempting to scam the system and hedge your bets on hubbies business future. Strangely enough, that is what you posted also. If it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it rarely is an eagle.

I could really use some public assistance (food stamps, housing, child care etc.) My husband was going to pay me a certain amount of money each week.... however his business is not doing well and he hasn't been able to pay me much. I don't know what my husband would be able to pay and I don't want to get him into a situation where he could end up in jail or lose his professional license because he can't pay child support. If anything happens to his ability to earn a living it will negatively impact me and the kids.

Comment

I understand what you are saying. I don't want to scam the system - I want to understand how the system works and what I can expect. I want my husband to pay for the support of his children. But what happens if he is ordered to pay X number of dollars and his business only makes X number of dollars that month? I'm not out to get him and I don't want to see him go to jail. Even if we lived together right now we would probably still qualify for public assistance because his business is so down at the moment. He is giving me everything that he can and still keep a roof over his head and his business open.

We literally just separated a week ago and I feel like I have been tossed into the storm. I am trying to do what is best for everyone. I have friends and family telling me different things and all trying to give me advice. All I want to do is find out how the system works and what I need to do to take care of my family. I would love to be completely independent and support my children on my own without having to rely on anyone else. That is my goal, but that is not where I am right now.

I want information about how child support is determined, if it can change monthly as his business declines or increases, how it is collected, how much time he has to pay before facing consequences. I want some concrete answers about how the whole system works. So far you have provided me with a calculator and some snide remarks about how I am trying to push responsibility onto the taxpayers of Texas. You are not helping.

Comment

The Texas attorney general is the primary enforcer of Texas child support collection laws and administrates the collection and disbursement process. Generally, child support is charged by a court order, after the court determines parental responsibility.

Comment

If the two of you cannot afford to live separately, perhaps you need to move back in together. There are many instances of parents who continue living together and not sharing their lives, in order to support the children they created. When you have children, you are sometimes obligated to put their needs ahead of your wants and wishes.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                  x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X