• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend In Court
    replied
    Re: Immediate answer please! He has an outstanding warrant for his arrest

Originally posted by mikwheezy View Post
    Can my ex file for custody if he has an outstanding warrant for his arrest? We live in Ohio. We were never married. The only reason he is wanting to file is because i wouldnt let him claim our daughter on taxes.
    Filing for custody for pecuniary interests is a ploy that can be seen through, usually in short order.

Let him file, encourage him to file. When he shows up for court a sheriff's deputy should be there to meet him. Surely you can arrange that.

Leave a comment:

• Disagreeable
    replied

Tell him you and the Deputy Sheriff on duty will see him in court.

Leave a comment:

• sandyclaus
    replied

Originally posted by mikwheezy View Post
    Can my ex file for custody if he has an outstanding warrant for his arrest? We live in Ohio. We were never married. The only reason he is wanting to file is because i wouldnt let him claim our daughter on taxes.
    Can he? Sure he can. But with the outstanding arrest warrant, it's unlikely he could get custody - at least not until he deals with his legal issues. The court is unlikely to award custody to a parent who won't be present to take custody of their child.

Of course he's trying to say he wants to have custody because you won't allow him to claim the child on the tax return. Many NCPs do that as a way to try to bully the CP into giving in - with tax credits, or visitation, or especially having to pay for child support. They figure that they would be able to do what they want if the child would only be allowed to live with them. The problem with that is that the NCP isn't asking for it because it would be in the child's best interest, they are asking because it would be in THEIR best interest. It's a scare tactic, pure and simple, and one that you shouldn't even bother entertaining.

By tax laws, the parent with whom the child resides the majority of the time is the one who gets to claim them for tax purposes, unless a court order says otherwise. Anything else would be tax fraud.

Leave a comment:

• Immediate answer please! He has an outstanding warrant for his arrest

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X