Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child support arrears and prison

Here's my question/scenario if you can help: My boyfriend is in Michigan and is over $6,000 in arrears in child support. He has been unemployed for a year, and now he has been called into mediation in Macomb. If he pays a small ($500 or so) amount, is that better than nothing? And how likely is it that they will arrest him on thethe spot for being over $2,500 in arrears?

Re: Child support arrears and prison

I wish to inform you that your boy friend may make an arrangement for payment of the child support arrears with the mother of the child and a consent order can be filed in the court. If an arrangement cannot be worked out then your boy friend may file a petition with the court clearly bringing out all the facts in support of his view point. He can inform the court that he has been unemployed for almost a year, therefore, there are arrears in the child support payment. He may request the court for payment plan to pay the arrears. The court will always keep in view the best interests of the child. The court will consider all the facts and decide the matter.

AFF

Comment

Originally posted by christina589 View Post
      Here's my question/scenario if you can help: My boyfriend is in Michigan and is over $6,000 in arrears in child support. He has been unemployed for a year, and now he has been called into mediation in Macomb. If he pays a small ($500 or so) amount, is that better than nothing? And how likely is it that they will arrest him on thethe spot for being over $2,500 in arrears?
      It's not necessarily that he is in arrears, or even the amount that's going to be the deciding factor. It's about what efforts he has made to address his unemployment, and what efforts he has made to make even a token payment or two towards that arrears over the past year of unemployment.

A child deserves to be supported by BOTH parents to the best of their ability. If he isn't making reasonable efforts to seek employment or supplement his income, then that will be a big black mark against him in any mediation over resolution of those arrears. Perhaps it's time for him to start liquidating any assets he has in order to make a more significant contribution towards reducing those arrears.
      "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
      "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
      "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Bringing a $500 attempt is a good start. He should also bring a list of significant assets and job contacts he has made over the past year. The goal of the court is not to ruin his life, it is to compel payment for the childs benefit.
        Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Even if your boyfriend makes the partial payment he is still a convict if an arrest warrant was already issued in his name.

Comment

Originally posted by Lexus View Post
            Even if your boyfriend makes the partial payment he is still a convict if an arrest warrant was already issued in his name.
            No true. Convict means convicted. You cannot be convicted until you appear before the court and exercise the judicial process.
            Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

If he has been called in to mediation, arrest is not on the agenda -- but working something out over the arears. Already you state that they are willing to settle for a token amount being paid, the $500.

There is a discrepancy in what you report as arrears; "$6,000", "$2500." Which is it?

If he has been unemployed for a year, he can move to have support modified, reduced, to reflect his situation. That should help arrears continuing to pile up.

Comment

It all depends on why he is unemployed. If he lost his job due to layoff or factors outside of his control, he should be filing a petition for modification to lower payments.

Even if he quit his job, if he shows he is willing to do what he can to make payments, they will likely work with him, as most courts realize he wouldn't be able to make money and pay support if he's in jail.

Comment

It is never bad to pay support when you owe. I would need to see the Warren County, IL pleadings to see what he is facing. It is unlikely that he will be arrested if he has not missed prior court dates. If he has missed any there may be more than just the pleadings on support out there. There are online services which cover most Illinois counties. Call the Clerk of the Court to see who they use and then you can get a better idea.

Comment

My ex boyfriend owes 7560 dollars in back support.
                    Can I get him arrested in Georgia (USA) for that?
                    How do I go about it? There is a court order but my ex misses about half the payments.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                      How do I go about it? There is a court order but my ex misses about half the payments.
                      This thread is over 4 years old. Please don't hijack old threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

As a first step you can take your ex back to court to enforce the order.
                        The judge can ask him to explain why he has not paid and if good reason does not exist, the judge can hold your ex in contempt, fine him, jail him or take other various actions.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X