Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• michigan child support laws

My daughter hasn't been living with her mother since June but I am not getting a response from the friend of the court in gettin the case dropped. How could it be legal for me to still have to pay her mother support when my daughter is no longer living with her. she is 17 and living with family to finish the school year out

Re: michigan child support laws

I wish to inform you that you can file for modification of child support. In this regard you can argue that as child support is for welfare of child thus by not spending amount on child the object of child support is not being achieved and so you should not be held liable for child support.

AFF

Comment

You are still obligated to pay support. Mom has the right to decide where the child resides. If they wished they could request child support in court.

Comment

OK I think OP is concerned he is payig support to Mom but child is not living with Mom and Mom is not sending money to whomever is caring for child. I also disagree with Mom deciding where child lives. If child does not live with Mom then Dad should have a say so or even request child live with him

Comment

Michigan law provides for child support for single or divorced parents who are raising their minor children. Usually in Michigan Child support ends when the child turns 18 years old. You can make a request to the court to modify an existing court order because of a change in circumstances. The court will scrutinize the reasons why a parent would consider altering a child custody arrangement before ordering a change to the current custody order. Non-payment of court ordered child support is contempt of court and subject to punishment.
          It is always advisable to seek the assistance of an attorney who can help answer any questions you may have.

Comment

Originally posted by direwolf View Post
            My daughter hasn't been living with her mother since June but I am not getting a response from the friend of the court in gettin the case dropped. How could it be legal for me to still have to pay her mother support when my daughter is no longer living with her. she is 17 and living with family to finish the school year out
            The custodial parent may make other living arrangements and still be entitled to support for they usually are still maintaining a home, may be paying the other person for the child's support. Living with another family for the brief time you mention is not reason to change support. The daughter still has need for clothing, medical needs, spending money, school expenses which the mother has to provide.

One is always free to petition the court to modify a support order, but if one wishes to know the chances of succeeding, in my opinion the chances are slim to nil.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x

the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X