•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend In Court
    replied
    Re: 16 Year Old In Need Of URGENT Help.

By the way, if you, too, are 16 you have no chance whatsoever to get custody or even file for it. For in the eyes of the law you are a minor and may not file suit. You would have to have your parents file for you -- asking the court give an infant to a minor. Further, one can expect to fork over at least $20,000 for a lawyer in a custody dispute.

Better chance rolling dice for at least you might win something.

Leave a comment:

• Friend In Court
    replied

Originally posted by Christian96 View Post
    Ok, but can she move while this whole process is being done or does she have to stay while I take this matter to court? how can I prove to the judge she is an unfit parent?
    Is she already a parent that you can prove unfit? You have stated no facts that she is not fit. If you challenge her fitness and lose that shot, you can count on her hating every cell of your being. Not the position you want to be in to be able to co parent and cooperate with the mother.

Leave a comment:

• Friend In Court
    replied

You are going to have no control over your 16-year old girlfriend's life, either before or after birth. She is a minor and must live under the control of her parents. If her parents are leaving the state, she must move with them.

All you can do is establish paternity which must be done after the child is born by DNA testing. Then an order will be made for custody, visitation and support. The chances of taking an infant from its mother are slim to nil -- unless gross unfitness can be shown. One thing I can guarantee, though,is that if you wage a custody battle you can be assured that you will generate long term if not lifetime enmity with the mother.

Being 16 and pregnant is no walk in the park. It is a life changing disaster! Whatever plans she made for advanced schooling, the 24/7 burden she will have of caring for a child -- it has altered her life forever.

My advice is to recognize this unplanned pregnancy is having a major impact on her life, not to mention her parents. Be as supportive as you can. Give her some time to adjust to the upcoming change of her life and let her know you want to be there for her and the child in every way you can.

You have given no information that suggests you are capable of caring for a newborn child, either. I would forget the custody challenge if I were you and go for as expanded visitation and co parenting as you can get so you can help raise your child.

Leave a comment:

• messyjessi
    replied

I'm 16 years old and I got my ex girlfriend pregnant. she was so upset about the news that she told me she didn't want me to be part of the babies life and that she was going to leave Idaho and go to Arizona. I've tried to convince her; she is just way to stubborn and insists on moving. I want to know as an expectant father what I can do to be part of my child's life. Am I able to gain full custody if I take it to court? I need URGENT help.
    if your gf is under 18 she lives where her parents tell her to live. once shes 18 she can lvie wherever she wants. if she didnt want you to part of the child's life she shouldnt have gotten preg by you. id tell her that. once you establish paternity you will have as many rights as she does

Leave a comment:

• Christian96
    replied
    re: 16 Year Old In Need Of URGENT Help.

Thank you so much for your help. I will probably come back for more advise. This helped a lot I appreciate what you people do in order to help people with my types of problems.

Leave a comment:

• Disagreeable
    replied

How long would this process take? If we get joint custody is she able to move out of the state?
    Idaho laws have special provisions to cover situations where the mother flees. It is impossible to convey all the information here. I have provided a second info link. I suggest you and your parents review and discuss the laws and options.

Putative Father Registry

Leave a comment:

• Christian96
    replied

How long would this process take? If we get joint custody is she able to move out of the state?

Leave a comment:

• Disagreeable
    replied

This is not going to be a short term thing. Your best scenario is likely joint custody, with her as custodial parent.

Leave a comment:

• Christian96
    replied

Ok, but can she move while this whole process is being done or does she have to stay while I take this matter to court? how can I prove to the judge she is an unfit parent?

Leave a comment:

• Disagreeable
    replied

I suggest you register the situation immediately.

POLICY AND PRACTICE: PUTATIVE FATHER REGISTRIES

Leave a comment:

• AFFA
    replied

I wish to inform you that court considers best interest of child as main consideration. In this regard you will first have to establish paternity and then rights towards child can be granted because you are not married. After establishment of paternity you can file for child custody or child visitation. As child is of tender year thus sole custody may be difficult unless you show mother to be unfit parent but you may have joint custody or child visitation.

AFF

Leave a comment:

• Christian96
    started a topic 16 Year Old In Need Of URGENT Help.

16 Year Old In Need Of URGENT Help.

I'm 16 years old and I got my ex girlfriend pregnant. she was so upset about the news that she told me she didn't want me to be part of the babies life and that she was going to leave Idaho and go to Arizona. I've tried to convince her; she is just way to stubborn and insists on moving. I want to know as an expectant father what I can do to be part of my child's life. Am I able to gain full custody if I take it to court? I need URGENT help.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X