USAC Banner 728x90



No announcement yet.

Objection to termination of Child support

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Objection to termination of Child support

    I was ordered to pay child support on my child. According the the divorce decree I was to pay support until my child turns 18 (he is 19 at present), unless he enrolled in ft college the semester immediately following graduation from high school, which fell on Oct. 2012. My child was not enrolled FT but instead enrolled half time. My child also works 35 hrs. a week and is currently not living with the original petitioner parent who was recieving the child support. I have requested a termination of child support from the family court in my area. The custodial parent recieved this notice and has filed an objection to termination which then requires a hearing on this objection. I can not afford to hire an attorney, although the petitioner has and was needing to know if an attorney is required to appear, or can I "represent" myself? I have a file folder full of school documentations, a letter from my child stating work hours and that they do not live at home, etc

    Thank you

  • #2
    Re: Objection to termination of Child support

    I wish to inform you that you may self represent your self in the Court. This right has been conferred by the Sixth Amendment. The elements of self-representation were stated in McKaskle v. Wiggins. You may contact the Pro Se department in the Court or read the guide for self represented clients on the Court Website.



    • #3
      Re: Objection to termination of Child support

      Thank you, this is in St. Louis, Mo. So in a hearing would you recommend having an attorney then, when up againist an opposing attorney? I assumed a hearing was more or less for the judge to hear both sides and present what "evidence" is brought into court and make his decision?


      • #4
        Re: Objection to termination of Child support

        It is what you feel comfortable with. If you feel you have the wherewithal to prove your case to the court then there is no need for an atty. most judges will allow a little latitude as to form for pro se.


        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

        the color of a red dog is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

        widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.