USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16 yr. old dad seeking custody, mother giving child to her parents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 yr. old dad seeking custody, mother giving child to her parents

    I am a 16 yr old father who had a child with a 14 yr old girl. DOB 12/15/2006 Here are the facts as I can best state them: We are both juveniles. Mother is giving up custody of child to her parents. Parents have had issues with Child Protective Services in the past with thier own 6 children. Father has drug related charges & domestic violence charges in his past. Nobody is employed! Parents live 100% off the goverment. I feel this is just another ploy for more goverment assistance. I have in my possesion letters from the mother to myself , indicating there is violence in the home, that she has thoughts of suicide, and she is also a "cutter" (person who harms themselves when feeling down/sad). My parents and myself have no charges of this nature. My father is employed and my mother provides daycare out of our home.
    I would like to gain custody of my child, However, I am a juvenile, and we were told that since I am a juvenile I can not win custody. I will be 18 in 1 1/2 yrs, I do not want to give my rights up to my parents. At the age of 18 I plan on seeking full custody of my child.
    I have not seen my baby in 3 months. I am aware that I will recieve parenting/visitation rights at the custody trial. There are no services in my area for reduced fees and/or pro bono attorneys. Any advice would be appreciated.

    John B.

  • #2
    Re: 16 yr. old dad seeking custody, mother giving child to her parents

    Get your parents to take you to court. Not only do you , YES YOU DO, have rights as a father, even as a minor, your parents can request custody under the "grandparents' rights" laws, and then give custody to you when you turn 18. If you honestly believe your girlfriend's family is not capable of taking care of your child, call Child Protective Services IMMEDIATELY so that baby is not in danger. When CPS reports the finding of their investigation to you, take that report to court as further evidence for you, or your parents, having custody. Take action as soon as possible, the longer you go without doing anything, the court will ask , "Why do you care now? Where were you three months ago?"

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 16 yr. old dad seeking custody, mother giving child to her parents

      I just happen to be reading this question as i have a similar situation.

      nice response above--very good answer!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 16 yr. old dad seeking custody, mother giving child to her parents

        I actually work for protective services in Michigan, and at least here, in order for her family to get custody we would still try to contact the father, and if there is a history on the family, we WOULD NOT ALLOW PLACEMENT!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 16 yr. old dad seeking custody, mother giving child to her parents

          true here in kansas as well

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 16 yr. old dad seeking custody, mother giving child to her parents

            Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            I am a 16 yr old father who had a child with a 14 yr old girl. DOB 12/15/2006 Here are the facts as I can best state them: We are both juveniles. Mother is giving up custody of child to her parents. Parents have had issues with Child Protective Services in the past with thier own 6 children. Father has drug related charges & domestic violence charges in his past. Nobody is employed! Parents live 100% off the goverment. I feel this is just another ploy for more goverment assistance. I have in my possesion letters from the mother to myself , indicating there is violence in the home, that she has thoughts of suicide, and she is also a "cutter" (person who harms themselves when feeling down/sad). My parents and myself have no charges of this nature. My father is employed and my mother provides daycare out of our home.
            I would like to gain custody of my child, However, I am a juvenile, and we were told that since I am a juvenile I can not win custody. I will be 18 in 1 1/2 yrs, I do not want to give my rights up to my parents. At the age of 18 I plan on seeking full custody of my child.
            I have not seen my baby in 3 months. I am aware that I will recieve parenting/visitation rights at the custody trial. There are no services in my area for reduced fees and/or pro bono attorneys. Any advice would be appreciated.

            John B.
            you do realize that you may have broken the law, depending on your state. very few states, if any, allow a 14 yr old to legally be able to consent to sex. once you turn 18, any sexual contact you have with her or any girl under 18 can result in you spending time in jail, and be register as a sex offender, which will be with you the rest of your life. just a friendly warning.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 16 yr. old dad seeking custody, mother giving child to her parents

              Originally posted by missingmyhubby View Post
              you do realize that you may have broken the law, depending on your state. very few states, if any, allow a 14 yr old to legally be able to consent to sex. once you turn 18, any sexual contact you have with her or any girl under 18 can result in you spending time in jail, and be register as a sex offender, which will be with you the rest of your life. just a friendly warning.
              What is with you? I see you posting nasty comments all over the place. I'm sure this guy knows if he has broken the law, but that wasnt his question. And then you start ranting about what he does after he turns 18? Its nice to comment if youre actually trying to help some out, but that never seems to be the case with you.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 16 yr. old dad seeking custody, mother giving child to her parents

                Well it is a point to bear in mind??

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 16 yr. old dad seeking custody, mother giving child to her parents

                  Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  What is with you? I see you posting nasty comments all over the place. I'm sure this guy knows if he has broken the law, but that wasnt his question. And then you start ranting about what he does after he turns 18? Its nice to comment if youre actually trying to help some out, but that never seems to be the case with you.
                  im not being nasty, i am stating fact. he may have known, but he didnt think with his brain, most hormone fueled teenage boys dont.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 16 yr. old dad seeking custody, mother giving child to her parents

                    the situation is done and over with. Arguing about what did happen is not going to help the child that is in the mix now. One fact, you are forgetting is that most young fathers turn and run, this young man seems to be trying to take on his responsibility. Some people do learn from mistakes and move on, but you really should not leave nasty comments about others who are trying to seek help.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 16 yr. old dad seeking custody, mother giving child to her parents

                      is there a custody order in effect now? has a motion for custody been filed, and you are just awaiting the court date? i'm not sure if this is true in your state, but here in PA, each parent has equal rights to their children without a court order. meaning, that if one parent has the child, they do not have to allow the other to see that child. But also, that parent can take that child, and there is nothing that can be done, since they are both the bio-parents. i would call around to get free consultations from lawyers, just to see what they say.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 16 yr. old dad seeking custody, mother giving child to her parents

                        I orginally placed this. Just an update, Have since went to court, did not have dna results back (I am tha father) at that time, I had no say so in court! Her parents recieved custody. The magistrate did not even want to see the letters I had! My mother and myself did take copies to child protective services. We recieved in the mail today, court papers, Now they are trying to get me for child support! I dont even have a job, not for lack of trying, I live in a rural area, and have applied to all of the local fast food places. The CSEA is seeking support. First of all, We meaning me and my parents can raise my son without the support of goverment assistance. What are we doing wrong here? Is there no justice for a father trying to do the right thing? any advice would be great, [email protected]
                        Thanks for the advice already posted.
                        Be well.
                        John B-

                        Comment

                        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                        x

                        the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

                        widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X