Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC, Canada: Moving with the kids

A friend of mine is a single mom with two kids aged 6 and 5. The father abandoned them 5 years ago and only recently (within the last year) showed up again demanding access to the kids. She was awarded sole custody and guardianship, but the courts have allowed him _supervised_ visits every second Saturday.

She has an opportunity to move to another city a few hours away where she has better job prospects, better support from family and friends with regard to child care, and a new fiance. Putting distance between him and her is a happy side-effect, not the reason for the move.

My understanding is that she is free to move as long as she maintains the current access order. That is, she brings the kids back to the other city every second weekend for a visit. As long as she does this, there is nothing he can do to prevent her from moving.

Is this correct?

Related: after she moves, she plans to request a change of venue so that future trials and access conferences will take place in the new city where the kids live. My understanding is that this is possible, and even preferable to the courts (ie: having the proceedings take place where the kids are).

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance...

Re: BC, Canada: Moving with the kids

That is normally correct but she should inform the court of what she is doing as well, and of the move.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x

the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X