Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

giving up parental rights (bio father left me when i was pregnant)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• giving up parental rights (bio father left me when i was pregnant)

My daughter will be 9 this september. Her biological father left me when i was pregnant with her. More less gave me option either "abortion" or him. He has never had anything to do with her as at the time we both resided in Va. I then met my current common law husb when she was 2. He was the 1st one she has ever called dad etc.We have been together ever since. When she was 3 and half we moved out of state for couple years in between that time her bio dad never called never --for pics nothing not even a card. I would get occasional emails in regards to him giving up parental rights in which he wanted that to be done --as she was curious why her last name wasnt same as her dads. Well 2 yrs ago my mother n law became sick we decided to move back to virgina. Bio dad said wants to see her but has no intent to continue to do so after the fact,and that was in july 2008. He did finally see her last year in sept I explained who he was etc. Ever since we dont hear from him nothing. My daughter set up a facebook acct and chose to use her dads last name and now weeks later I get an email stating his frustration etc. My question is. He is court obligated to pay child support but he is not on her birth certificate at all. Nor has he even tried to take care that matter. Me and my common law husb are now about to get married on paper soon can he put himself on her birth certificate? That is after we are married and would that immed void child support visitation etc from bio dad. I know they wont let him give up parental rights without someone else to take the fathers place and adopt her. Would we need bio dad to agree to certificate signing beings he has never went & put himself on it? Is she even close to age where judge would hear her input on this being almost 9. He has his 5th child on way, gave up parental rights to the 1st has nothing to do with others other than 1 and he has really messed that up. We want whats best for her and to make this as easy transition as poss.

Re: giving up parental rights (bio father left me when i was pregnant)

You can ask if a judge will hear her...and some will. But often at age 9 the court will consider her unable to decide what is in her best interest.

Comment

How was support ordered with him signing birth acknowlegment or taking paternity test? Your soon to be husband will not likely be able to adopt until you two have been married six months to one year. You cannot just put a name on a birth certificate espcially after so much time

Comment

I ended up getting a court date not soon after she was born , when we went to court he made deal outside the courtroom agrred to child support & to cover her insurance as 9-11 had just happened alot of us lost our jobs etc.The judge granted me sole custody gave him visitation but it doesnt state when. I mean i understand after all this time it would be hard.Its just now he just all of a sudden wants to start picking her up and is making demands on what & when he is going to do with her and telling me where and when all of sudden.I get repeated nasty emails from him to the point I almost want to file harrassment charges.He has a new baby on the way & 3 other children besides my daughter of whom he has nothing to do with.I have been told his contact with them or relationship with those children wont help either.Its just why her.Why not the child who did somewhat grow up with him which is his 15 yr old son who is begging to see him. So even when I get married after the 6 months he will still have to give his consent correct for my husband to sign the certificate?

Comment

You cannot remove his parental rights without his consent if thats what your asking

Comment

Yes, you will still need his consent. This is not to say a judge will allow it, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              My daughter will be 9 this september. Her biological father left me when i was pregnant with her. More less gave me option either "abortion" or him. He has never had anything to do with her as at the time we both resided in Va. I then met my current common law husb when she was 2. He was the 1st one she has ever called dad etc.We have been together ever since. When she was 3 and half we moved out of state for couple years in between that time her bio dad never called never --for pics nothing not even a card. I would get occasional emails in regards to him giving up parental rights in which he wanted that to be done --as she was curious why her last name wasnt same as her dads. Well 2 yrs ago my mother n law became sick we decided to move back to virgina. Bio dad said wants to see her but has no intent to continue to do so after the fact,and that was in july 2008. He did finally see her last year in sept I explained who he was etc. Ever since we dont hear from him nothing. My daughter set up a facebook acct and chose to use her dads last name and now weeks later I get an email stating his frustration etc. My question is. He is court obligated to pay child support but he is not on her birth certificate at all. Nor has he even tried to take care that matter. Me and my common law husb are now about to get married on paper soon can he put himself on her birth certificate? That is after we are married and would that immed void child support visitation etc from bio dad. I know they wont let him give up parental rights without someone else to take the fathers place and adopt her. Would we need bio dad to agree to certificate signing beings he has never went & put himself on it? Is she even close to age where judge would hear her input on this being almost 9. He has his 5th child on way, gave up parental rights to the 1st has nothing to do with others other than 1 and he has really messed that up. We want whats best for her and to make this as easy transition as poss.
              no judge will listen to the wishes of a 9 yr old. and i hope for your sake you told your daughter that your current bedwarmer is not her dad, he is a legal stranger to your child, and it could cause you to lose custody for engaging in parental alienation

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X