Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custody between parents: Would I influence where my sister and I live?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custody between parents: Would I influence where my sister and I live?

I am currently 14 almost 15. My parents Currently have joint custody(i see my dad on every other weekend and every tuesday the rest i spend with my mom) recently there was a fight between Me, my younger sister(12) and my mother and my sister wants to move to my father and i have feeling that i want to as well, also i believe i must stick with my sister out of her personal welfare seeing as i am her main role model would i have a say in a court case and would i influence where my sister and i live?

re: Custody between parents: Would I influence where my sister and I live?

You can express where you want to live. The fact that your sister is close to you does not mean her desire to live with father is under influence from you. However, while deciding custody matters Court decides by keeping welfare of the child as the main consideration. Therefore, if your father wants to have custody Court will give consideration to your views but will decide as to where are the best interests of your sister and you. Hence, you must show that your and your sister's best interests are with your father.

AFF

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I am currently 14 almost 15. My parents Currently have joint custody(i see my dad on every other weekend and every tuesday the rest i spend with my mom) recently there was a fight between Me, my younger sister(12) and my mother and my sister wants to move to my father and i have feeling that i want to as well, also i believe i must stick with my sister out of her personal welfare seeing as i am her main role model would i have a say in a court case and would i influence where my sister and i live?
      untill you two are 18 the court, not you and your sister, decide where you live.

Comment

Incorrect.

In many states, there is an age a minor meets that allows them to tell the judge which parent they wish to live with, and many times, the judge will abide the minor's wishes. Depending on the state you live in, you may have very well reached that age. 14 is usually around the age a minor has input into which parent they want to reside with full time.

Your mother would have to file in court for a change in custody, and you will have to testify as to who you want to live with and why.

Comment

Re: Custody between parents: Would I influence where my sister and I live?

Incorrect.

In many states, there is an age a minor meets that allows them to tell the judge which parent they wish to live with, and many times, the judge will abide the minor's wishes. Depending on the state you live in, you may have very well reached that age. 14 is usually around the age a minor has input into which parent they want to reside with full time.

Your mother would have to file in court for a change in custody, and you will have to testify as to who you want to live with and why.
          children can express their wishes, but they dont decide. just as they dont decide wether they go to school, do their homework, or what time they come home.

Comment

Incorrect.

Incorrect. Judges don't "many times" abide by the minor's wishes. That is a patently ridiculous statement.

One fight is not grounds for changing custody. Something very serious would have to have taken place for two children to decide they want to live with dad.

Teens are usually full of angst and everything is 3-D technicolor to them. Families have disagreements. Children get mad at their parents. Deciding that dad is more "cool" and less of a disciplinarian isn't grounds for changing custody.

It's likely you will remain with your mother unless something seriously abusive has been going on in your home.

Comment

My younger siblings( different dads) are in the same situation. Our mother has never been the best role model or even a "good" parent. Its not always just a fight between the kids and cp and wanting to live with the other parent just because they are "cooler" sometimes theres more to it. Thankfully my father wanted custody and i hope for the sake of my siblings they too get out of that house.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X