Can my adult children collect arrears?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my adult children collect arrears?

Long story short:
    I was divorced in the State of Missouri in 1983.
    Ex-husband ordered to pay child support.
    He disappeared. I moved to Washington in 1991.
    I collected food stamps, Medicaid, and Aid to Dependant Children in Washington until I got established (approx. 2 yrs).
    Never heard a thing from the State concerning my ex until my youngest turned 18. That's when Washington began intercepting his tax returns and attaching his salary. The State sent me notices periodically until they collected what they deemed nescessay to pay themselves back.
    Recently, through Facebook (go figure), an old high school friend informed me of the whereabouts of my ex.

My question is, even though my children are now adults from 27-31, is my ex still responsible for the court ordered support, minus what the State of Washington got from him? It's not a fortune by any means, but just knowing that after 26 years of ignoring them, their father could finally be held responsible for supporting them in some small way, would make me happy.

Re: Can my adult children collect arrears?

I wish to inform you that you can claim arrears from your ex husband. You can claim amount within 10 years from the last day when your husband has paid or 10 years when the amount has been due. However in your case your elder child being 31, the amount may be difficult to claim unless the child went to college but in case of younger child being 27 you may claim for arrears. However, you must immediately contact the Missouri Child Support Enforcement and lodge your complaint regarding the arrears.

AFF

Comment

Re: Can my adult children collect arrears?

Don't delay by even a day...the longer you wait the worse it is.

been there!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

Working...
      X