Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possbile to have an attorney represent a child's interest in a divorce?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possbile to have an attorney represent a child's interest in a divorce?

The state is Mississippi. My sister and her husband are about to file for divorce. It could be very ugly from the details I've heard. I don't trust my sister's judgment. I don't know the husband/father very well. My family in MS supports the father and thinks my sister messed up the marriage and is messing up my niece.

I live in Texas. I don't know all the facts and likely never will. When I look at the situation all I see my niece (looks like and is same age as my own daughter) who is in the middle of all this.

Who looks out for her interests? Since the rest of the family seems to be picking sides and I don't feel informed enough to be sure, is it possible that someone such as myself could retain an attorney and give them the task of representing my niece's interests exclusively?

Thanks,

Concerned Uncle

Re: Is it possbile to have an attorney represent a child's interest in a divorce?

usually the court appoints a law guardian for the child...at least around. i'd check into it for your state

Comment

Re: Is it possbile to have an attorney represent a child's interest in a divorce?

No. A court will appoint a Guardian Ad Litem if they deem it's warranted. You cannot hire an attorney to represent your niece. This isn't your legal battle. It's between the legal parents of the child.

Please stay out of it. You know the old saying about two dogs fighting and someone comes to break it up. It's the do-gooder who gets turned on by both fighting dogs.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X