Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Support and Access -- USA, Canada

I live in the US and my daughter and ex girlfriend live in Canada.
    I have been an inconsistent father, at best...but now I am trying to be a part of my 8 year od daughters life. I am not looking for Sole Custody (I would love it...but it is not reasonable), but I am looking for access to my daughter. Phone and eventually visits.
    My ex refuses to answer the phone when I call. She has emailed in the past and said she wants us to have a father-daughter relationship and she would never stand in the way of that...but since she got married, she will not respond via email, or answer the phone when I call.

With the history, would it be possible that I would be granted access?? I have no criminal history or anything like that.

Also, do I have to get a Canadian Lawyer...or can I get an attorney in the US?

re: Child Support and Access -- USA, Canada

I wish to inform you that you can have access to your daughter. Generally, best interest of the child is taken into consideration by the court. It is generally taken by court that both mother and father should have contact with the child. In your case you can apply to the court for such rights. In Canada, your US lawyer may not be able to represent client in Canada as he may not be a member of Bar Council in Canada so you will require a local lawyer.

AFF

Comment

Actually, the first question that needs to be asked and answered is, in what country was the child born, and have you been legally established as the child's father? Meaning was a paternity test ever performed and/or did you and the mother fill out and sign an Acknowledgement of Paternity when the child was born?

These details are needed before any legitimate advice can be offered.

Comment

She was born in Canada. However, I as an American citizen, had the papers for her to "be born abroad". SO, born in Canada...but of dual citizenship. I am on the birth certificate as well. at this point their are no court order of any kind.

Comment

It doesn't matter if you are listed on the birth certificate. You are not yet legally established as the child's father. What Province was it the child was born in, and are you living in the U.S. now or in Canada?

Comment

She was born in Ontario. I have always and still do live in the US

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x

the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X