Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is DV trial open to the public

Can my daughters boyfriend prohibit me from going to watch his domestic violence trial? The trial is involving my daughter and her boyfriend.

I want to see the entire thing.

Is there any way the bf could stop me personally if the trial is open?
    Can he file for some order that just bars me e.g.?

Re: Is DV trial open to the public

I wish to inform you that the discretion to permit you to attend the trial is with the Judge. You may write a letter to the Judge requesting permission to attend the trial. Alternatively, you may contact an attorney and seek guidance.

AFF

Comment

Originally posted by AFFA View Post
      You may write a letter to the Judge requesting permission to attend the trial. Alternatively, you may contact an attorney and seek guidance.
      That's plain stupid - it's a public trial and anyone can attend. No one has to write a letter to the judge. That's ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Highwayman View Post
        That's plain stupid - it's a public trial and anyone can attend. No one has to write a letter to the judge. That's ridiculous.
        That's not true in all states. Hillsborough County only allows the petitioner and the respondent in the case and witnesses to enter the courtroom.

Comment

Generally all cases should be open to all but its not always the case.
          The Denver Post did a great article on over 6000 cases closed to the public in CO--and it didn't always seem right to close them...

But anyway, if the local rules close the case for some reason or the judge has closed the case to the public you can still ask to attend--contact the court.

Comment

The OP clearly stated his question pertained to an "open trial".

Go back to sleep.

Comment

He said IF the trial is open...

Not clear if it is or not at this point...

And the answers would then vary as noted above,

Good answers above IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Op Ed 42 View Post
                He said IF the trial is open...

Yes, so his question pertains to an OPEN TRIAL.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X