pulled over by traffic officer and called f**** b**** because I could not hear

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pulled over by traffic officer and called f**** b**** because I could not hear

I have hearing problem. I carry tape recorder with me around to have transcribed things I can't hear that people do not write down. Then I get tape transcribed so then I read them.

I was pulled over and police would not sign nor write for quite some time. Eventually they did after about 15 minutes. There was no traffic ticket issued, they had the wrong license plate.

I turned on tape recorder on passenger seat as soon as I was pulled over. When I got home I had it transcribed through program. Friends have listened to tape to confirm.

The police called me many names, even indicated my car was ugly and then used curse words to reffer to it.

Is there anything I can legally do to make sure I not treat this way again?

re: pulled over by traffic officer and called f**** b**** because I could not hear

In your case, you can file a suit for defamation if the statement by police officials show you in wrong sense. In this, the basis will be what has been said to you was being heard by persons passing by or some other person and thereby caused you loss of respect. You can then claim that you were defamed by wrong comments on you. Otherwise, if the statements were discriminatory then a suit for discrimination can be filed. You can file a complaint with higher police officials that the police officials on road are abusing innocent citizens. Further, you can contact the local Human Rights Department about the fact that police were using foul language against you. It has violated your Rights, specially, you as a human being have a right to live with dignity.

AFF

Comment

re: pulled over by traffic officer and called f**** b**** because I could not hear

What you need to do, is make a copy of the tape, (keep the original), and make sure it's transcribed by a professional third party (impartial and without any interest to gain), and take it to the police officer's superior officer. This police officer crossed the line and needs to be reprimanded for it. You might even want to have the transcription notarized, so that the police know it wasn't "faked".

You won't get far taking this complaint the Human Rights Commission. It is merely show of an officer being an ignorant person, and same goes for "loss of respect". Actually, it's loss of reputation, which did not happen, as it can't be proven you have suffered any loss of reputation as cars passing by would be unable to hear anything that was being exchanged, and even if they did, you would have to have been in a position where, because they heard these things, they, for instance, stopped frequenting your business, if you had one. Calling a person names and remarking about their car are not reasons to contact the Human Rights Commission.

This was merely a case of a cop with very poor judgment, who made some ignorant, childish remarks. But his commanding officer NEEDS to know about it, so he can be reprimanded.

Your rights have not been violated. If people could employ all of the rigmarole suggested by the previous poster's advice, we'd all, every one of us, be in court daily, and the Human Rights Commission would be grossly overburdened.

As far as ensuring it never happens again, realistically, there isn't any way to absolutely ensure such a thing does not happen again. If there were, we'd all be doing it. I am subjected to people calling me names every day in my position, and if I were to sue them all, I'd never get any work done, and I'd be in court literally every minute of every day of my life.

Comment

"If people could employ all of the rigmarole suggested by the previous poster's advice, we'd all, every one of us, be in court daily, and the Human Rights Commission would be grossly overburdened. "\

on one hand you are right, it was just name calling.

on the other hand, what if it had been an officer calling someone a ****ing ****** because they were black? and then treating them different just because they were black - like refusing to speak to them and tell them why they were pulled over? (which is basiclaly what happens when they don't comply with the Americans with Disabilties Act and accomodate the disability which appears to be what happened from what the orginial poster said.)

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

Working...
        X