Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speeding ticket and a very rude judge that belittled my disorder

I have a speeding ticket with a 300 dollar assessment added to it. I was planning on paying it off on the 22nd of January, but the assessment had already been added. I didn't even know it would be.

I went to court on Monday and the judge was very rude to me and I had an anxiety attack in the middle of the hearing. I have social anxiety disorder and I clearly told him I was having an anxiety attack and had this disorder and could not continue. He told me that I was overreacting and it wasn't that serious. He continually told me that "it was just a ticket and that this isn't serious". To me anything in a public space is very difficult. He did let me sit down and called another person up. Afterwords, he just asked me what I was going to do and I just said I'd pay so I could get away from the place. I never had the chance to explain myself or anything.

If anyone can please give me advice on what to do. Can I see another judge about the ticket? Should I call the collection department?

Re: Speeding ticket and a very rude judge that belittled my disorder

No. The case is over. You said you'd pay, and regardless of why you said you'd pay, you said it. It's done and over. You must pay it.

If you suffer from anxiety attacks, there is help and medication for that. Judges see all kinds of people and all walks of life. They cannot be expected to treat any one individual more gingerly than any others, as they have no idea what each person may or may not be afflicted with when they come into court.

Comment

I wish I had seen your question earlier. I am an attorney. In most jurisdictions the state courts follow the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure. Under the Rules of Criminal Procedure you could file a motion to withdraw your guilty plea within a certain time period (probably 14 days) and appeal to another court if the judge refused your motion. It's too late now in all probability.

Comment

Yikes--that is good to know.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X