Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DUI in Toronto

How stringent are DUI laws in toronto? Are the cops strict? If I got caught with my blood alcohol level just right above the legal limit, was it legal for the cops to arrest me on the spot?

I told the officer I swear it won't happen again and I've never even gotten a speeding ticket before. I just had to get home from a party, no one else was as sober as I was so I knew I had to drive home. It was a quiet night on the road and I swear I wasnt swerving or getting into near misses. The cop just pulled me over and asked if I had been drinking. I said a couple of drinks and then he pulled out a breathalyzer for a test. Apparently blew a 0.09 and then said I needed to come down to the station. I dont know any lawyers, but a friend said that it was my first offence EVER....maybe I shouldn't have been arrested on the spot just like that.

But now there's a charge and I need a lawyer. Does anyone know a good lawyer in Toronto who really specializes in these DUI claims? I'm interviewing for really nice jobs and I can't afford a botched criminal record. Please let me know, I could really use this win. Never been charged before. Not even a speeding ticket. Thanks!

Re: DUI in Toronto

Originally posted by chloew View Post
    If I got caught with my blood alcohol level just right above the legal limit, was it legal for the cops to arrest me on the spot?
    Are you kidding me?

Originally posted by chloew View Post
    from a party, no one else was as sober as I was so I knew I had to drive home.
    You are an idiot - and a menace to society. Hopefully you lose your license for a good long time.

Comment

I wish to inform you that you may contact the Lawyer Referral Service of The Law Society of Upper Canada and seek guidance.

AFF

Comment

Once you are over the limit, it's an offence. No getting around that.

But errors do occur, machines are off, etc.
        And counsel can look at all possible defenses and options including negotiating a settlement of the matter if possible.
        Expect some kind of fine, classes and/or punishment unless you have a winning defence.

Comment

Driving with blood alcohol limit over 0.08 is a criminal offence. Law says that the blood alcohol limit above this limit will significantly affect driving skills. So you could not justify it by saying that it was your first offence. If you need to contest the case it is always good to consult a lawyer.

Comment

I now somebody that now has his fourth DUI in Toronto.
            How is it possible that he is not in jail for at least some period?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              I now somebody that now has his fourth DUI in Toronto.
              How is it possible that he is not in jail for at least some period?
              Ask his lawyer.

Comment

in most places here in the u.s. you don't even have to blow the limit to get busted. its called a "wet reckless" meaning reckless driving due to the effects of alcohol (or any other substance that affects from the neck up). any breath test over 0.0 is sufficient. The penalties for a wet reckless can be almost as severe as for a full dui.

you also might consider that there are cabs that can drive one home, and take you back to your vehicle the next morning. you never HAVE to drive after drinking. even paying for a hotel room is preferable to drinkiing and driving.

ip

Comment

Originally posted by iowaplayer View Post
                  in most places here in the u.s. you don't even have to blow the limit to get busted.
                  Except that this was about Toronto.

FYI you don't have to "blow" anything to get "busted".

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X