Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving Overseas after getting an OWI

Here is my situation. I got an OWI early November of this year in Wisconsin, my license is suspended as of 24 November for 6 months. I recently got a job in Germany so I am living overseas now.

If I was in the states I would apply for an occupational license to get me to/from work, however, since I am now residing in Germany is there no way of getting driving privileges here for work purposes or must I wait until my license can be reinstated?

Re: Driving Overseas after getting an OWI

I wish to inform you that you may drive all types of vehicles as shown on your licence in Germany. In case of any conditions or restrictions on your driving licence, you must also comply with them when driving in Germany. You will require a German translation of the contents of your driving license.

AFF

Comment

Generally, holders of U.S. driver's licenses may drive in Germany with such a license for up to six months. For those staying longer, it depends: in the U.S., the individual states have jurisdiction over driver's license laws.
      A priority issue for American citizens resident in Germany is the reciprocal recognition of driver’s licenses from the two countries. The process of establishing reciprocity continues to be slow, since many informal agreements require individual tailoring to meet the requirements of each U.S. state.
      As of January 1, 1999, U.S. driver’s license holders must be in possession of a German license six months after entering the country, if they wish to continue driving.
      Some states such as Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming have signed recognition agreements with Germany to ensure the efficient transfer of driver’s licenses without an additional examination. However, where such agreements do not exist, individuals seeking to obtain the relevant local driver’s license may be required to take a practical and/or theoretical exam, depending on the state in which they have acquired their American license.
      To sum up, you may drive in Germany with your American license for up to six months. Afterwards, you need to obtain a German license (with or without taking a German exam, depending on where you acquired your U.S. driver’s license), unless a reciprocity agreement is in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Lexus View Post
        Generally, holders of U.S. driver's...
        Dopey - you've outdone yourself.

Do you actually look at threads before you reply? This one is well over FIVE YEARS old.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X