Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will I be going to a juvenile detention centre?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I be going to a juvenile detention centre?

I'm 15 and was arrested for possession of a controlled substance (3.5 grams of MDMA) i am a first time offender, good kid, never been involved with criminal actions nor have i been arrested. I am wondering whether or not i will be going to a juvenile detention center? If not, what is most likely the penalty

Re: Will I be going to a juvenile detention centre?

We do not have a crystal ball.

Either hire a psychic or an attorney. I would recommend the latter.

Comment

Let's clarify one thing - you were found with a substantial amount of MDMA - you are not a good kid. You are in desperate need of redirection.

Your punishment will depend on your state, your county, even your judge. Having sat thru my fair share of juvenile proceedings I'd be surprised if you didn't get some kind of time.

Your parents need to hire a criminal defense lawyer for you.

Comment

That really could go either way frankly and YES unfortunately it will depend on the judge too.
        But definitely get your own legal counsel involved. You don't know the system and all its details.
        It all runs like a big machine these days.

Comment

That stuff ain't good for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Toorre

Thanks for your outstanding legal advice and for sharing your expert perspective.

Comment

FYI I had just about the same charge (slightly worse) and did NOT go to detention.
              So nothing is for sure. But do get good counsel that you are comfortable with.

Comment

Originally posted by Highwayman
                Thanks for your outstanding legal advice and for sharing your expert perspective.

If I can be of further help, please let me know. My wisdom truly has few bounds.

Comment

LOL That's funny.

Comment

In law, being in possession of something is different from the everyday definition.
                    The essence of the concept of possession is that, at the relevant time, you had possession, custody or control over the drugs in question. A minor, who knowingly and without legal justification possesses a controlled or illegal substance can be charged with juvenile drug possession.

To be convicted of drug possession, a minor must knowingly possess or control the prohibited substance. However, that doesn't mean that simply saying “I didn't know it was there,” will be enough to avoid a conviction. A prosecutor can prove that you knew the drugs were in your possession or control from the circumstances of the case. For example, if you are pulled over and the police find MDMA in your backpack, the circumstances of the situation would likely be enough for court to conclude that you knew the drugs were there.

Anytime a minor is charged with a drug possession violation, that juvenile faces some potentially serious consequences. However, the juvenile justice process is very different than the criminal justice process. Even though the crime of drug possession is the same for juveniles and adults, the way the courts handle a juvenile case is very different. Juvenile courts have a much wider range of options when dealing with a minor offender than they would if the offender had been an adult.

Drug counseling. Juvenile courts typically focus on rehabilitating young people. Because of this, a juvenile court can order the minor offender, as well as his or her parents, to attend drug counseling in hopes of rehabilitating the teen.

Probation. Juveniles may also be placed on probation for drug possession. When a court orders probation, it orders the juvenile to comply with some specific terms. For example, the court will likely order the child to attend school regularly, maintain a job or find a job if the teen is old enough, participate in drug counseling or family counseling, perform community service, or a range of other requirements. The court may also order the minor to regularly report to a juvenile probation officer or court officer, though this is not always the case. Probation lasts typically at least six months, but longer terms are also possible

Diversion. Diversion, also known as pretrial diversion or informal probation, is also a common consequence for juvenile drug possession offenders. Just as with probation, a juvenile on diversion must comply with specific court rules. However, instead of the court ordering probation, the juvenile is allowed to comply with the diversion orders without having to formally go before the juvenile court. If the juvenile successfully completes the diversion program, the charges are essentially dismissed. However, not all jurisdictions allow for juvenile diversion programs and it is usually available for first-time offenders only.

Comment

Your punishment will depend on your state. Before appearing in front of authorities, please consult an experienced drug possession attorney and know your options well.

Comment

Originally posted by Toorre View Post
                        I would have to agree with that!

Comment

In drug possession cases, whether a person goes to juvenile center or not depends on the statutes and laws of the state. If anyone needs any type of help regarding drug possession cases like these, they can visit https://www.barhomalaw.com/

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X