• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• felony reduced to misdemeanor

Can a felony burglary be reduced to a misdemeanor

re: felony reduced to misdemeanor

Originally posted by rlane View Post
    Can a felony burglary be reduced to a misdemeanor
    It depends on the statute under which the charge is made, and the circumstances.

Care to share a little more detail?
    "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

It was 1st degree residential burglary, did one year in state prison, I'm not on parole, I don't owe anything n its the only thing on my record.

Comment

It was 1st degree residential burglary, did one year in state prison, I'm not on parole, I don't owe anything n its the only thing on my record.
        So, then, you've already been convicted and served your time. In that case, no. If you hadn't already been convicted and sentenced, then you might have been able to ask that the charge be reduced to a misdemeanor with a plea bargain.

Let me guess - you now have some consequence from your felony conviction that you're trying to get out of, such as restriction from owning a firearm or voting?
        "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

I'm trying to become an insurance agent

Comment

Re: felony reduced to misdemeanor

Do you have your license yet? Having a felony conviction shouldn't necessarily keep you from getting licensed.

Your felony conviction might, however, keep employers from hiring you as an agent. That's going to be one of your biggest hurdles to overcome - that an employer won't hire you for a lot of jobs with any companies if you have ANY felony convictions.

There's nothing you can do about trying to reduce the conviction now.

Comment

Re: felony reduced to misdemeanor

Once convicted of a felony, as you say you have, it is part of your record and cannot be changed to a "misdemeanor" after the fact -- after the conviction.

A felony conviction is a barrier to most professional licenses, especially where public trust is required.

Expungement is probably what you are looking for which in effect wipes out the conviction and record of the felony.

Expungement is rarely granted, but that is the approach I suggest you take. With more information, such as the state where you served time, perhaps we could give more help.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
              x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X