Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A friend of my son is going to court.

A couple weeks ago, it was raining really hard and had a stream running down our yard, the neighbor across the street who has a bridge crossing over a stream was flooded over and the house next door had a dog outside and were not home. My son and his friend noticed their dog in our field trying to get away from the water, they went over to the their house and knocked on the door but no answer. Looked inside and saw another dog inside. They got concerned that the flooding would get worse and kicked in the door to bring the dogs over our house for safe keeping, We sit higher up. His friend left a note that said they were saving the dogs from the heavy rain and flooding.

Personally, I feel their heart was in the right place, even though their brain was not. We kept the dogs on our front porch and gave them food and water. When the neighbors came home later than night, they came over our house and I immediately told them what happened and we will pay for the door. They got even more upset and called the cops claiming we stole their dogs.

The cops came the next day and we explained what had happened. Our son is 17 and his friend is 18. Both were ordered to appear in court on separate days. My son went to his and the judge simply said, you’re free to go after hearing the story. His friend is being charged with theft and aggravated burglary. Nothing was taking. The theft is the dogs which is total BS.

His friend, being 18 is not so lucky. He will have a court appointed lawyer and needs to appear before a jury to plead is case next month.

I personally believe this is no way should have gotten to this point and could have been worked out between us and the neighbors with no police or court involvement but the neighbors wanted to be A-holes. Regardless, here we are.

My main question is what can we expect in court and next steps that should be taken? What can we do to prepare? Will the appointed attorney be contacting his friend and us at some point before the trial date?

My main question is what can we expect in court and next steps that should be taken? What can we do to prepare?
    There's no "we" here. Your son skated because he was a minor

The friend needs to rely on his own attorney and your family needs to keep out of it.

Will the appointed attorney be contacting his friend and us at some point before the trial date?
    No way to answer that question. If you know who the attorney is, call him up and ask him.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x

the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)