USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the chances my charges will be withdrawn if I leave the country?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the chances my charges will be withdrawn if I leave the country?

Hi, I got charges of assault and assault with a weapon. I am a non citizen nor a permanent resident. My lawyer said there are 3 possibilities which are trial, jail or deportation. I was falsely accused of these charges and since it's taking too long (6 months now) with no proper income and my life's on a halt, I just wanna go home. Is there a good chance I could just be asked to leave the country before a trial happens?

re: What are the chances my charges will be withdrawn if I leave the country?

You are running 2 clocks. Your visa clock and your crime clock. If you stay after your visa to attend your trial, you will be dinged for being in country illegally. If you leave before court, you will have warrants for your arrest. Depending on where you run to, they may catch up to you.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Wow it was a ****ing test

QUOTE=mrscarter;290556]Hi, I got charges of assault and assault with a weapon. I am a non citizen nor a permanent resident. My lawyer said there are 3 possibilities which are trial, jail or deportation. I was falsely accused of these charges and since it's taking too long (6 months now) with no proper income and my life's on a halt, I just wanna go home. Is there a good chance I could just be asked to leave the country before a trial happens?[/QUOTE]

Comment

Re: What are the chances my charges will be withdrawn if I leave the country?

In the U.S. there is a "speedy trial" law which requires one be brought to trial in a criminal matter within a reasonable period of time, usually 90 days. Unless the defendant waives. You need to check back with your attorney to see what the speedy trial rule dictates in your state for there may be a fourth option -- dismissal for failure to timely prosecute.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X