Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying cannabis seeds from the internet

I would like to know how my convictions in New Zealand would compare in Canadian law. I was caught buying 5x cannabis seeds, they were bought through the internet and were stopped and found at customs. This ultimately left me with a conviction for import/export of cannabis seed and a sizeable fine. This would only have been a slap on the wrist for possession but as they were sent from overseas they came down hard.
    After finding the seeds they searched my house and found a small amount of equipment for the growing side, one lamp, one fan and a few pots but even so this entitled me to another conviction and fine for the possession of equipment to cultivate/grow. I was fully cooperative to the police, accepted all responsibility and signed for the disposal of all equipment to help my case. This was a first offence but even so I received two convictions and a total fine of $1300NZ. I am now hoping to travel to Canada for a holiday with my fiancee whose family live in Ontario and would like to know how these convictions would fare and how they would be treated under Canadian law.

Re: Buying cannabis seeds from the internet

I would say you are not admissible based on 2 separate convictions.

Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Originally posted by Itsthepie View Post
      I would like to know how my convictions in New Zealand would compare in Canadian law. I was caught buying 5x cannabis seeds, they were bought through the internet and were stopped and found at customs. This ultimately left me with a conviction for import/export of cannabis seed and a sizeable fine. This would only have been a slap on the wrist for possession but as they were sent from overseas they came down hard.
      After finding the seeds they searched my house and found a small amount of equipment for the growing side, one lamp, one fan and a few pots but even so this entitled me to another conviction and fine for the possession of equipment to cultivate/grow. I was fully cooperative to the police, accepted all responsibility and signed for the disposal of all equipment to help my case. This was a first offence but even so I received two convictions and a total fine of $1300NZ. I am now hoping to travel to Canada for a holiday with my fiancee whose family live in Ontario and would like to know how these convictions would fare and how they would be treated under Canadian law.
      Many countries, including Canada, bar immigration based upon someone having a drug conviction. I would suggest that your fiancee comes to you instead, since you won't be granted an entry visa for yourself in Canada.
      "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
      "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
      "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I knew this would probably make me inadmissable but I'm weighing up the options as whether to apply for a temporary visitor permit or hope that I'm not questioned about it on entry, if they do not ask I don't have to tell etc.
        The main point of my question though was would these convictions be similar in Canadian law if they were to happen there, if you were caught buying seeds off the net in Canada would you be convicted?
        Presumably if the crimes were not deemed as as serious they would feel differently about them to NZ law where they were more serious.

Comment

In general, if you were convicted of an offence in Canada or outside of Canada that is considered a crime in Canada, you are considered to be criminally inadmissible to Canada. Even minor offences may render a person inadmissible to Canada. If a person is determined to be inadmissible to Canada they are unable to enter Canada as a visitor, student, worker or immigrant until such time as relief is granted. If there are compelling and urgent reasons to allow you to temporarily enter or remain in Canada, you may apply for a temporary resident permit. Under exceptional circumstances only, consideration for temporary entry may be granted.[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]An applicant must have good reasons for wanting to enter Canada and these will be measured against the danger to Canadian society in admitting the applicant and vacations are not considered a justified reason. Moreover, you should not hide anything from the Canadian authorities because if your conviction comes to light at the port of entry or during your visit to Canada, you will be reported under the Act and could face removal from Canada and future inadmissibility as a person who has been removed, in addition to inadmissibility due to the conviction. If you knowingly enter Canada while you are inadmissible, then later make an application for permanent residence in Canada, your application for permanent residence is likely to be refused. This applies even if you are sponsored as the spouse or partner of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
          However, you need to consult an attorney to get proper help regarding this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Itsthepie View Post
            Thanks for the replies, I knew this would probably make me inadmissable but I'm weighing up the options as whether to apply for a temporary visitor permit or hope that I'm not questioned about it on entry, if they do not ask I don't have to tell etc.
            The main point of my question though was would these convictions be similar in Canadian law if they were to happen there, if you were caught buying seeds off the net in Canada would you be convicted?
            Presumably if the crimes were not deemed as as serious they would feel differently about them to NZ law where they were more serious.
            You would be amazed to know the extent of background checks Canadia Immigration does for entry visas and citizenship applications. Not only do the check with the country of origin authorities, but also Interpol and the data bases for every friendly nation.

Conviction for the possession of the equipment alone is enough to bar you from entry.

Comment

Hey, I'm thinking of growing next year, and I was just wondering where I should buy my seeds. There are a whole bunch of internet sites that sell seeds, but that seems kind of sketchy.

Comment

Originally posted by Johanthaontarot View Post
                Hey, I'm thinking of growing next year, and I was just wondering where I should buy my seeds. There are a whole bunch of internet sites that sell seeds, but that seems kind of sketchy.
                It's still illegal in most jurisdictions, and this legal forum is not the place to go trolling for leads.
                "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
                "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
                "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Originally posted by Johanthaontarot View Post
                  Herbies is the best seed bank period if u don't get your package they will either resend or refund love those guyz

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                  x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X