USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Container on City Streets, Repeat Offender?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Container on City Streets, Repeat Offender?

The City of Newark, DE has a code that classifies an open container of alcohol on city streets is a misdemeanor charge. I'm an out-of-state resident (of age) and upon returning to DE to attend a college Homecoming game, I was arrested for having an open container (red plastic cup with small amount of liquid). Not considering guilt, my concern is, while attending the University 4 years ago I was arrested and convicted of underage consumption (misdemeanor charge). Is something like this typically seen as a "repeat offender" and could I potentially face higher fines/punishment? Or are the two unrelated and I shouldn't necessarily worry? I haven't decided what action I will take, as I'm a Federal employee and I would prefer to keep my record clean (2 misdemeanor charges can't be helpful),but if the law is the law, maybe I have to accept it. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Normally they will not be related. You may confirm your details with the prosecutor's office if need be.

Comment

Re: Open Container on City Streets, Repeat Offender?

I assume I would have to enter a plea of not guilty if I were to want to attempt at lessening the charges? Do prosecutors' offices for criminal complaints typically offer pre-trial conferences to discuss these matters before appearing before the judge? In other words my assumption is this first court appearance is only for the plea? I wouldn't assume they would also hear the case then?

The last time I appeared I just put in a plea of guilty before the judge, they collected the fine, and sent me on my way.

Comment

Re: Open Container on City Streets, Repeat Offender?

It is easier frankly to have counsel negotiate a reduction, and to agree a solution keeping it off your record. You may want to get counsel for this if it could affect that Fed job...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X