Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMV Drops Ball and I end up in jail

Allow me to preface this post with the information that I am officially a resident of the state of Virginia and as such have a Virginia Drivers License although I spend a great deal of time in New York. August 29, 2006 I was pulled over in Manhattan (New York City) for not wearing my seatbelt. I ask the officer to cut me some slack as my uncle was a Nassau County police officer and I have many close friends who are city officers. He proceeds to write me a ticket for not having my insurance card with me and tells me to mail a copy with the ticket and it will go away. I thank him and am on my way. The next day I do as instructed by the officer and mentally write the whole incident off. Jump ahead to last Tuesday March 20, 2007. I'm pulled over for allegedly making a left turn from the right lane. The happenings of that violation are not relavent to this post. The officers that pulled me over punch my name in to their system and bam! Warrant flashes on their screen. I get hauled off to jail being told that I have an outstanding ticket from 2006 for not having insurance and that my NY driving privleges have been revoked. That being said, they are happily hauling me off to jail. As it turns out, DMV never received my letter. Since they hadn't received it I was found guilty in my absence. They sent various notifications to an address that I had not lived at for 9 years. They didn't send anything to the address that was on my license. Since I hadn't been notified, I didn't even know that I had an issue until last week. My first question is am I liable? Will I have to pay the $1000+ in fines? Also, I have a court date in May as a follow up to my "criminal" charge of driving with revoked driving privledges... how do I handle that? Since I never actually had a lapse in coverage, do I only need to bring proof of that fact with me and I walk away clean? Secondly, I would think that the DMV has to be required to perform some due diligence in sending information a correct address. I mean, for heaven's sake! All they had to do was send the information to the address on the license! Do I have any recourse with DMV for my "suffering"??

Re: DMV Drops Ball and I end up in jail

Yes if you show you were always licensed the judge normally will resolve it for you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X