Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dorm Searches

I live in a college dormitory in IL. They have made it quite clear that since the rooms are school property, they can search them whenever, much like a school locker. However, I have a locking cabinet, and a locking chest. Can they force me to open these without a warrant? Also if yes, could a fellow student empowered by the school to search my room force me to, or would it require a police officer?

The best article I found on this website, relating to this, is http://www.worldlaw.eu/article/825

My college is Bradley University,
    http://www.bradley.edu

I can't find the policy written down anywhere either, but as described to me by my Residential Advisors is that if drugs are suspected to be in my room, they will come make us wait outside, while they go through every bit of our belongings. I'm just curious to know if my roomate were to be under suspicion, or even myself, for my (allowed) hookah, could they search everything, or just whats not secured?

Re: Dorm Searches

Me again, I just found the actual wording of the search policy

Room Inspection, Entry and Search

The University reserves a reasonable right of entry into any room to assure proper maintenance and repair, to provide for the health and safety of all residents, and/or to investigate when there is a reason to believe that violation of a statute, residence hall policy, or University regulation is occurring.

Well doesnt that just clarify everything

Comment

It would seem you had to agree yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        It would seem you had to agree yes.
        My question is, in case of a search, do I have to unlock my personal property since it is in the University's property (the dorm).
        I'm sorry but I just don't really understand your answer.

Comment

No you don't need to do that; they normally need a warrant to search your personal items or bags etc., unless you have somehow agreed otherwise.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X