Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claiming dependents on taxes

Would it hold up in court if a document is typed up by my own and getting it notarized by a bank? It's about claiming a my child on tax return. Is it fair that each parent claims one of two children on taxes. Even if father has ins. On the children and the mother has them mostly.?

Re: Claiming dependents on taxes

The determining factor is which person pays the majority of the support. And whether or not a court order gives deduction rights to one parent over the other.

The IRS's site has information on the criteria they use to determine which of the parents is entitled to claim the children on their tax returns.

Comment

The IRS goes by who the child spent the most nights with. If it is you, and for some reason (including court order) the other parent will be claiming that child, there is an IRS form for that. (I think it's 8832 but check at IRS.gov).

Comment

There are certain criteria outlined by the IRS that need to be met, before claiming a child. If all are followed they can be claimed as you mentioned.
        Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

[QUOTE=Friend In Court;305163]The determining factor is which person pays the majority of the support. And whether or not a court order gives deduction rights to one parent over the other

If I was to remarry can the person I'm married to claim my one child from a previous marriage? Even tho I don't work? My ex at this time gets to claim both children cause I didn't have anyone to represent me when we got divorced I was not working at the time that's why he got both. But now I'm remarried and want to get one of the girls to claim on taxes cause my husband now is working and taking care of us all financially as much as my ex. but my ex is being stingy and not wanting to be fair and let me claim one. Could I take my ex back to court and be able to get to claim one? Or will it be a waist of money and time?

Comment

[QUOTE=Mimi70;305498]
            Originally posted by Friend In Court View Post
            The determining factor is which person pays the majority of the support. And whether or not a court order gives deduction rights to one parent over the other

If I was to remarry can the person I'm married to claim my one child from a previous marriage? Even tho I don't work? My ex at this time gets to claim both children cause I didn't have anyone to represent me when we got divorced I was not working at the time that's why he got both. But now I'm remarried and want to get one of the girls to claim on taxes cause my husband now is working and taking care of us all financially as much as my ex. but my ex is being stingy and not wanting to be fair and let me claim one. Could I take my ex back to court and be able to get to claim one? Or will it be a waist of money and time?

Comment

Under the right circumstances it is possible. It must be done in accordance with IRS regulations. If the court order says he gets to claim them, you will need to have it amended also to avoid contempt charges.

[QUOTE=Mimi70;305498]
              Originally posted by Friend In Court View Post
              The determining factor is which person pays the majority of the support. And whether or not a court order gives deduction rights to one parent over the other

Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
              x

the color of a red rose is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X