Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Claim a Depend. on Tax Return w/o Their Permission?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claim a Depend. on Tax Return w/o Their Permission?

If someone claimed me on their income tax in 2008 as a dependent...even though I had not been living with that person, nor give him permission to do it, is it to late to do anything about it? Because my step-father did this to me, at the time I was 19 but I'd been out of his household for over 2 years! He collected money on his return for me, even though I told him not too! Then he tried to do it again last year! But I made sure my mother didn't allow him to that time. Could I like take him to civil court or report him to the IRS?

Re: Claim a Depend. on Tax Return w/o Their Permission?

I wish to inform you that in your case your step father has shown you as a qualifying child. For making you a qualifying child the following tests are to be satisfied:
    i) Relationship,
    ii) Age,
    iii) Residency,
    iv) Support,
    v) Joint return, and
    vi) Special test for qualifying child of more than one person.
    In above points the fourth test is the Support Test where it is required that the child should not have provided more than half of the support. In your case if you are supporting yourself then you can inform IRS about the false information supplied by your step father.You can report tax fraud in IRS Form 3949-A to IRS after which in case IRS is satisfied then they will take action against your step father and may even pronounce an imprisonment to him. Further, if you like your identity can be kept confidential and you can also be eligible for a reward.

AFF

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X