Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling International Edition Books

Is selling International Edition Books completely legal? Major online bookstores such as abebooks.com, amazon, and several others are selling international edition textbooks as opposed to US edition, is that completely legal? Can I sell International Edition Books?

Re: Selling International Edition Books

I apologize, let me rephrase: The major online bookstores are selling International Editions as well as US Editions. Is Selling International Edition Textbooks completely legal? Can I sell International Editions?

Comment

Distributors try to say that the use and license of the book is restricted but frankly it is a grey area and if you buy it, you often indeed legally can sell it...no matter what they say

Comment

In a nutshell, yes it is legal to buy ise edtion text books from those websites. Carefully read the back of your book and you'll see that it says the book is not "intended" for sale in the U.S. The publishers are not allowed to put the words "legal" or "illegal" simply because that would be giving false information. According to the Lanham Act, publishers may sell these books to U.S. "consumers", not "college book stores".
        The same concept applies to buying an ordinary novel intended for the consumers in England or Australia, etc. U.S. publishers have no way of proving the consumer is purchasing the text book in order to substitute it for the U.S. edition in a U.S. community college or university. For all they know, you can just be buying it just to put in your book shelf or because reading is your personal hobby. It is impossible to prove whether or not the consumer is doing this, so the law must apply the same rules when buying a novel, magazine, cook book, etc.
        However, it is illegal for college stores to import these books from amazon or ebay and then sell them to students. The only way they can sell them is if they are second hand or used and purchased from a student during a book buy back drive. Hope this info was helpful. So go for it and buy the ise and save, save, save!

Comment

Other than the price, what is the difference in international editions, if any?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            Other than the price, what is the difference in international editions, if any?
            They're usually on paperback and may sometimes have black & white illustrations instead of the original colored illustrations. Check with the seller before placing an order to make sure.

Comment

Why not just ask the company? I did, this is what they said:

"Thank you for your email. The selling of international edition in the
              US is not authorized by McGraw-Hill but it is not illegal to purchase
              them just not authorized. I hope this helps to answer you question,
              please let me know if you have any other concerns."

So it's legal to purchase and they didn't answer my question about selling. I assume they would have answered it if it was illegal.

Although, take a look at this:

Publishers Settle International Edition Textbook Selling Lawsuit Against Two Individuals

Comment

Selling International Edition Books

I wanna sell international edition books to students in the U.S. Is it legal?

Comment

I think it is very typical process but you can try it.

Comment

To whoever that can answer my question most accurately and thoroughly,

Is it illegal to sell international edition textbooks to students in the U.S. if you have your company overseas and the country which you are setting up your business has no laws against selling international edition textbooks? In other words, if I have a business in Cuba, is it "illegal" for me to advertise my website (that sells international edition books) to college students in the U.S.?

Please provide me with all the possible legal ramifications,

Thanks,

Curious User

Comment

i want to sold books to the international wise if any body know means help me here...

Comment

but there are no sites where they allow international editions, as amazon.com or half.com, alibris.com does not allow international edtiions, where can you sell them online other than ebay??

Comment

I was actually sued by the publishers but i "won" the lawsuit, defending myself.. their claims are weak at best but be warned...

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                            I was actually sued by the publishers but i "won" the lawsuit, defending myself.. their claims are weak at best but be warned...
                            They sued me for selling 2books of their list through Internet. Please let me know what should I do. Thank you.

Comment

Dear,
                              It is all about the constitution of the country, so far i am concerned what i supposed that it would be supposed as the illegal in US. for further technical terms you can concerned with your Lawyer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X